3 Point Hitch Only Raises When Curling Bucket Up

/ 3 Point Hitch Only Raises When Curling Bucket Up #21  
Do a drawing similar to this....

OPEN LOOP HYD.jpg

Even just a pencil sketch on paper and snap pic of it...

I wonder???.. IF PO may have used a "T" in the curl up line to supply power to 3PH because PO could not get proper PB plug?... Seem to me its the only "logic" I can come up with that would cause it to function this way......

Also wonder if FEL valve body has PB port and what type of plug/fitting it has .....

Dale

Last edited:
   / 3 Point Hitch Only Raises When Curling Bucket Up

View attachment 691322

I wonder???.. IF PO may have used a "T" in the curl up line to supply power to 3PH because PO could not get proper PB plug?... Seem to me its the only "logic" I can come up with that would cause it to function this way......

Also wonder if FEL valve body has PB port and what type of plug/fitting it has .....

Dale
I will give it a shot, though it may take me some time to identify everything since I'm not a mechanic and this is my first tractor. :) Appreciate your help.

/ 3 Point Hitch Only Raises When Curling Bucket Up #23  
Thanks Scotty. That is very interesting.

What is a hydraulic circuit? Do you mean just draw all the hydraulic line connections and where they connect to?

A hydraulic circuit is just hydraulic-speak for a fluid pathway. The simplest non-work pathway is when your tractor is just sitting there running but not doing anything. Fluid is moving from the reservoir thru a filter, to a pump, past a control valve (closed), and back to the reservoir. That would be a hydraulic circuit NOT doing any work.

To do work, the path back to the reservoir is blocked which builds pressure in the whole system and the cylinder moves. That would be a hydrualic circuit doing work.

Yes, drawing those parts, hoses, and connections is exactly what I'm suggesting. It sounds to me like you want to figure this out, and a good first step is to draw out as much as you can. Most of the common compact & utility size tractors have a similar hydraulic circuit. Once you understand one of them, they are all just variations on the same theme.

Here is more detail on how the simplest of all tractor hydraulic works when the hydraulics are NOT doing any work:
From the hydraulic reservoir or tank - usually shared with the transmission - hydraulic fluid is sucked through a filter and into the hydraulic pump. At that point it has very little pressure. The hydraulic pump then circulates the fluid through all parts of the system until ultimately returning the fluid home to the hydraulic reservoir. There is fluid flowing all through the system, but it isn't doing anything. Just flowing around a circle in which there no high pressure.

To get the hydraulic flow to build pressure and do some work for us - like moving a cylinder rod - all we have to do is to block off that easy flow of hydraulic fluid back to the reservoir.
Here is how it works:
The operator moves a control valve lever which diverts a flow of fluid to a cylinder or set of cylinders while simultaneously closing off that easy return path back to the hydraulic reservoir. Now the fluid is still being pushed by the pump, but since its low resistance path back home to the reservoir has been blocked the pump keeps pushing fluid and builds up pressure until something gives - in this case the "something that gives" is that the cylinder rods all move a little which allows more fluid to enter the cylinder.

Once the operator decides that the cylinder rod has moved enough, he releases the control valve lever, trapping the additional fluid in the cylinder and simultaneously re-opening the old easy return pathway back to the reservoir.

That's about all there is to it. The downside of this simplest of all open center type hydraulic flow system is that it is only good at doing one thing at a time. After the fluid exits the pump as flowing fluid, all of the various hydraulic systems are receiving that fluid in parallel with one another - but only one can work at a time. The control valve levers select which system this will be.
One system (for example the FEL lift cylinders is one system) can receive flow, build pressure, and do some work, but it can only do so by simultaneously blocking the flow into and out of all the other parallel systems.

Bottom line is that somehow in your tractor two of these circuits - the curl and the 3pt - have gotten connected in series instead of parallel. Instead of curl & 3pt being on separate parallel branches, their flow is in line with each other. That may or may not have been the way it was intended to work. Drawing out a diagram of the system is the only way I know to figure it out, but maybe this rather long-winded explanation will help too.

Hope this helps,
rScotty

/ 3 Point Hitch Only Raises When Curling Bucket Up #24  

View attachment 691322

Dale

Nice picture! I was wondering that exact same thing. And with this drawing you've made it easy to see how it all comes down to whether or not his loader valve is equipped with a functional PB.
We could even draw it again - without the loader valve's PB at all - but with the 3pt plumbed in series with the curl circuit.

Two side notes: You show a PB at the 3pt as well - and that is correct of course - although not often called a PB because it is usually internally plumbed and not as easily accessible as the PB on the loader valve.

Also, I see that your drawing has the filter in the (low pressure) return line; my written explanation placed the filter in the suction line between the tank and the pump. For anyone following, either or both filter locations will work. In fact is is common to have both - one being a screen and the other being a smaller particle filter.
rScotty

/ 3 Point Hitch Only Raises When Curling Bucket Up #25  
Topped off hydraulic fluid this morning, but still have the same problem.

Traced loader quick connect lines and found bucket lines. Disconnected bucket lines and loader will not raise or lower.

Disconnected all quick connect lines to disconnect front end loader from hydraulic system and 3 point hitch will still not raise.

If I connect all quick connect lines for loader the 3 point hitch will raise, but only when I am curling the bucket up.
Can you post a picture of your hydraulic valve? Here is a picture of the valve on our Kubota B7500:
JPEG_20210322_163017_9061208397744321819.jpg

If you look in the bottom right you can see "in" cast into the valve block and in the top right you can see PB cast into the valve block.
On this valve, the fluid coming in from the pump comes in to the bottom right, high pressure fluid going out to the three-point hitch leaves through the top left and the low pressure fluid returning to the tank leaves through the bottom left.
The four quick connects on the valve itself go to the loader lift cylinders and the bucket cylinders.
Those quick connects being connected or disconnected should not make any difference in the operation of the 3 point hitch.

Aaron Z

/ 3 Point Hitch Only Raises When Curling Bucket Up #26  
Nice picture! I was wondering that exact same thing. And with this drawing you've made it easy to see how it all comes down to whether or not his loader valve is equipped with a functional PB.
We could even draw it again - without the loader valve's PB at all - but with the 3pt plumbed in series with the curl circuit.

Two side notes: You show a PB at the 3pt as well - and that is correct of course - although not often called a PB because it is usually internally plumbed and not as easily accessible as the PB on the loader valve.

Also, I see that your drawing has the filter in the (low pressure) return line; my written explanation placed the filter in the suction line between the tank and the pump. For anyone following, either or both filter locations will work. In fact is is common to have both - one being a screen and the other being a smaller particle filter.
rScotty

As you wish....

OPEN LOOP HYD-X.jpg

Dale

/ 3 Point Hitch Only Raises When Curling Bucket Up #27  
Just a comment on Aarons picture of his valve the individual spools are oriented up and down,
the two quick connects on the left are one spool the two on the right are the other spool in the valve.
When you reconnect your loader only hook up one spool to either the lift / lower lines for the FEL,
or the bucket curl lines and then try both levers or in all 4 directions if you have a joy stick.
One loader function should work either the lift/lower or the bucket curl, then check your 3 pt.
If one function works disconnect those two lines and connect the other loader lines and check function again.
Now you should know which pair of connects goes to the bucket dump/curl and which pair go to the lift/lower of the arms.
And if you try your 3 pt with both sets of connect it will provide more information.
Also listen to see if your hydraulic system dead heads and lifts the relief valve.

Can you post a picture of your hydraulic valve?
Sure. Here you go. I also took a photo down where it connects below the tractor. And I took a photo of below that block where it seems like there is a slow leak, I'm guessing that shouldn't be happening.
IMG_3111.jpg

IMG_3103.jpg

IMG_3115.jpg

Just a comment on Aarons picture of his valve the individual spools are oriented up and down,
the two quick connects on the left are one spool the two on the right are the other spool in the valve.
When you reconnect your loader only hook up one spool to either the lift / lower lines for the FEL,
or the bucket curl lines and then try both levers or in all 4 directions if you have a joy stick.
One loader function should work either the lift/lower or the bucket curl, then check your 3 pt.
If one function works disconnect those two lines and connect the other loader lines and check function again.
Now you should know which pair of connects goes to the bucket dump/curl and which pair go to the lift/lower of the arms.
And if you try your 3 pt with both sets of connect it will provide more information.
Also listen to see if your hydraulic system dead heads and lifts the relief valve.

After testing...

Right Side (White and Yellow) is lift\
Left Side (Blue and Red) is tilt

Only able to move 3pt hitch up when tilting bucket up. I did test with only right side connected and only left side connected. With only bucket tilt connected, when I tilt bucket up the 3pt will raise to the position I have it set at on the control lever.

I do find it interesting that I can't move the 3pt at all when loader is disconnected. Perhaps thinking about the loader is complicating things? Not sure.

/ 3 Point Hitch Only Raises When Curling Bucket Up #30  
I would tend to believe that as been mentioned your power beyond and return to tank lines are crossed