3 point hitch rippers

/ 3 point hitch rippers
I'd love to get one of those someday but I don't think they'd hold up to ripping that rocky area. Upon further looking into the heavy duty rippers, I shouldve bid a bit more...oh well

/ 3 point hitch rippers #12  
It's an interesting idea and probably worth trying to get the rocks loose!

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread - but I have a middle buster / sub soiler which I have only used so far as a potato plow and it works very well for that purpose.
I am really tempted to try out and see if I can remove some small to midsize tree stumps with the sub soiler "blade".

The unit's frame is pretty robust and I doubt my tractor has enough traction to damage it, but I may be able to break enough roots in order to pull out few stumps.

Snap 2021-08-09 at 21.20.01.jpg

Really handy potato plow:

Snap 2019-10-31 at 06.20.50.jpg

/ 3 point hitch rippers
It's an interesting idea and probably worth trying to get the rocks loose!

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread - but I have a middle buster / sub soiler which I have only used so far as a potato plow and it works very well for that purpose.
I am really tempted to try out and see if I can remove some small to midsize tree stumps with the sub soiler "blade".

The unit's frame is pretty robust and I doubt my tractor has enough traction to damage it, but I may be able to break enough roots in order to pull out few stumps.

View attachment 709043

Really handy potato plow:

View attachment 709042
If you dont mind me asking, what did that sub soiler cost?

/ 3 point hitch rippers #14  
If you dont mind me asking, what did that sub soiler cost?

No problem, it was new suggested list $170 and sold for $150 which was surprisingly low cost when I bought it back in year 2009

Farm shop had two Hawkline models side by side and this was the HD one.

It is more heavy duty build than what the photo looks like - 96 lbs so I can lift and move it fine, but need to be careful due to awkward shape.
I mean it does not stay upright no matter how you prop it up, just best to connect it to 3 pt once you move it by hand.

Last edited:
   / 3 point hitch rippers #15  
Heh, its all fenced in and has been a cow pasture for awhile now. The rest are hay fields.

I dont see the tire burning ceremonies much any more....maybe they ran out of tires. I could fix that for them for sure.

Looks like that ripper is out of my price range now. Its at 380 for current bid. I'm sure its worth it but not for me for right now.
Keep up the search I found one for twenty bucks.

/ 3 point hitch rippers #16  
The ripper in the link of post #3 appears to be a what is called a "mole plow" Used to create a cavity in the ground to drain surface water..

I use a similar shape tool to create channels in the ground to collect water around our fruit trees and bushes..

/ 3 point hitch rippers #17  
I've worked on areas that were salvage, garage or even farm shop areas and there is often loads of stuff just under the surface. Lots of equipment got buried. I've had the best results digging things out with a super duty set of cultivators with chisel points on it.

First pass won't go very deep but will pull up lots of trash and rocks that you can pick up. Next pass goes deeper and the next even more. Pick everything up and its isn't that hard to reclaim ground.

A ripper may likely not work as well. It will want to go deep, require lots of HP and leave the ground irregular and hard to smooth out. If it were me, I would skip a ripper and go with a HD cultivator with spring tines.

Interesting note is that I grew up not far from Lockport and picked car parts from every junkyard, likely including that one. I needed lots of parts and searched hard for them.

/ 3 point hitch rippers #18  
Actually, the pictures are of a blade for a vibrating plow. It looks like someone took one and adapted it to a three point hitch. At the bottom on the back side is the cable attachment and weight to pull a cable or wire through the ground.

/ 3 point hitch rippers #19  
I just ordered this one with the pipe layer attachment. Cheapest one in Oz. One lot wanted $1590 + GST. I told him he was a bit over the top. I have lots of poly pipe to lay and I can use it for ripping roots around stumps too. I also ordered a quick hitch so that should keep me happy for a while. :)
I will rip the ground first before I start laying the pipe to make sure there are no large rocks in the way.

/ 3 point hitch rippers
I've worked on areas that were salvage, garage or even farm shop areas and there is often loads of stuff just under the surface. Lots of equipment got buried. I've had the best results digging things out with a super duty set of cultivators with chisel points on it.

First pass won't go very deep but will pull up lots of trash and rocks that you can pick up. Next pass goes deeper and the next even more. Pick everything up and its isn't that hard to reclaim ground.

A ripper may likely not work as well. It will want to go deep, require lots of HP and leave the ground irregular and hard to smooth out. If it were me, I would skip a ripper and go with a HD cultivator with spring tines.

Interesting note is that I grew up not far from Lockport and picked car parts from every junkyard, likely including that one. I needed lots of parts and searched hard for them.
It was Dunn's salvage yard. My wifes grandfather had people just come and take the junk cars or whatever they wanted(no charge) back in the 90's. Once everyone got everything they wanted he bought a dump trailer and just started picking up everything and taking it for scrap prices. Cost him quite a bit of money and time to do it all but you'd never know it was a junkyard now (other than the few piles of tires sitting around).

I am actually thinking of going with a heavy duty box blade now after seeing some of the prices on the heavy duty rippers/sub-soiler. It would be a bit more money but would also have more uses. So I will start looking today to see what I can find.