3 point hitch rototiller for BX25D

/ 3 point hitch rototiller for BX25D #1  

homey53

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota RTV 900, 2016 Kubota BX25 DBL
I'm thinking of buying a rototiller for my BX25D, and I thought I'd ask here for some advice. They seem to be pretty scarce, so all of my looking has been on line, only. I'm thinking I'd want the slip clutch protection rather than shear bolt, yes? And I'm thinking the width of the tiller, probably shouldn't exceed 50-52 inches max, due to the limit of the BX' horse power rating? I've looked at the Tractor Supply County Line, the Land Pride, Titan and the Everything Attachments Italian made Phoenix brand. Hoping to hear from some experienced tiller owners and users. Thanks.

Tom

/ 3 point hitch rototiller for BX25D #2  
When we had a garden - I looked. Had a 1982 brand new Ford 1700 4WD. The basic concern - to get a tiller wide enough( wider than the rear tires ) and still stay within the tractor manufacturers recommended limits - I had to choose a pretty light weight PTO driven tiller.

I ended up purchasing a TroyBilt 8hp Horse. It did a fine job on the garden. Just saying .........

/ 3 point hitch rototiller for BX25D #3  
Kubota lists 42" as the max tiller width, but their numbers are usually conservative. With a 45" tractor width, I personally would go with a 48" tiller. Your soil type is also a factor in horsepower requirements.
Anticipating rocks, roots, and other objects a slip clutch may be the way to go - otherwise shear bolts are fine IMHO.

/ 3 point hitch rototiller for BX25D #4  
What @RjCorazza said. I run a Landpride RTA 1242 on my BX24. I'm guessing your machine's hitch and dimensions are the same - but the more experienced here may correct that.

I'd guess the '24 has plenty of grunt to pull a 48" tiller in my tilled-many-times garden soil. In new/hard/rocky ground the 42 might be the best choice.

Clutch vs shear bolt: mine was delivered with a clutch. That eats into the drive shaft length more than a shear bolt setup (I think) and makes cutting it to the proper length tricky. Too long and it risks damaging the rear PTO when raised. Too short and it doesn't have much overlap to transfer torque.

Took the dealer two tries to get it right. Fortunately they made it just a skosh too long to install. 1/2 inch shorter and it would have broken my BX the first time I raised the tiller.

For my use and soil, the shear bolt version would be a better choice. In nasty ground the clutch is probably mandatory.

FWIW,
Z.

/ 3 point hitch rototiller for BX25D
When we had a garden - I looked. Had a 1982 brand new Ford 1700 4WD. The basic concern - to get a tiller wide enough( wider than the rear tires ) and still stay within the tractor manufacturers recommended limits - I had to choose a pretty light weight PTO driven tiller.

I ended up purchasing a TroyBilt 8hp Horse. It did a fine job on the garden. Just saying .........
I have a 1980 Troy Bilt Horse that I rebuilt and repowered with a 7 HP Kohler, a couple years ago. And it works wonderfully. But at 67, I'm not going to tackle a 30' X 50' garden, 20 inches at a pass.;)

/ 3 point hitch rototiller for BX25D #6  
I do recommend a smaller 42" - 48" tiller for the BX.

I also highly recommend you get very familiar with a slip clutch. Especially if you plan to leave it outside. Rust and corrosion is your enemy.

Plenty of folks on here broke gearboxes on small and large machines using tillers and bushhogs when their slip clutch is rusted right on up...

/ 3 point hitch rototiller for BX25D #7  
Be sure to get a tiller that is a little wider than your rear tire track. I'd just get the smallest size that covered my tires on a BX tractor.

I've used Kubota, Befco, and Woods, and the King Kutter does the best job of anything that I've ever tried. Have tilled up many acres with it and the neighbors have put time on it too. Will turn sod into a seed bed in two passes when the conditions are right.

Be sure to get a tiller that is a little wider than your rear tire track. I'd just get the smallest size that covered my tires on a BX tractor.

I've used Kubota, Befco, and Woods, and the King Kutter does the best job of anything that I've ever tried. Have tilled up many acres with it and the neighbors have put time on it too. Will turn sod into a seed bed in two passes when the conditions are right.
Thank you.

/ 3 point hitch rototiller for BX25D #9  
Get a quick hitch to use with your tiller. I struggled with the short PTO shaft for a few years but the quick hitch changed every thing.

Get a quick hitch to use with your tiller. I struggled with the short PTO shaft for a few years but the quick hitch changed every thing.
Thanks.