3-Point Hitch 3 point lift capacity question....

/ 3 point lift capacity question.... #1  

MotorSeven

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE Hydro
Ok guys, i got a quote for a Kubota Grand L 3130 and the lift capacity of the hitch is listed at 2650. Kioti CK30 is 1764 which is comparable with most other brands. The last tractor i had was a '78 Yanmar 240D and there were a few occasions when i overloaded the Yanmar. Now that was only a few times in over 25 years, so i guess my concern is that with a bigger machine i will be attempting bigger projects. Is an extra 1000 lbs rear lifting capacity something to consider? Have any of you Kioti owners felt that the 3 point could have used a little more "juice".

Still shopping & comparing.....

RD

/ 3 point lift capacity question.... #2  
I have owned a Ford 8N, Ford 641, Ford 3000, and now a Kioti DK45S and have never had a problem with any of those tractors. I have used a 72" mower on all except the 8N with no problem. I have used each tractor for dragging logs with no problems as well. I don't think I have ever seen a tractor not be able to pick something up with the 3 pt hitch. Both tractors you mentioned are very nice machines. Buy the one you like best. Each will serve you well. Good luck

/ 3 point lift capacity question.... #3  
I am not a Kioti owner but I agree with Donny. For the most part these little tractors we all play with have plenty of capacity at the 3pt hitch for most things. I've overloaded both tractors I use a few times each year, usually trying to move pallets of flagstone, limestone or bluestone. So I do wish I had more capacity (especially since I have 1 pallet of each that need to get moved this coming week!). But unless you are doing work like that, then I would think that you should pick the tractor you like better. They are somewhat different, and somewhat similar, but both are pretty beefy and nearly the same size/weight, the L3130 has greater capacities and would be the natural choice if you needed to squeeze out every pound of capacity. The more casual user should find the CK30 to be plenty of machine for most similar tasks, I like the view over the loader arms of the CK30.

/ 3 point lift capacity question.... #4  
The only time that the lift capacity of a 3 pt. came into play for me was when using a heavy duty box scraper and digging with it. I'd sort of bury the blade a bit and use the hydraulics to pop up the dirt or rocks. The tractor I was using at the time was a JD, but on several occasions I was hitting the relief valve and had to take a smaller bite. That was rather annoying and I ended up getting a bigger tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Other than doing that sort of work, I personally have not run across any real reasons why a larger capacity would really be of a big benefit.

/ 3 point lift capacity question.... #5  
Hello Motor, I have the Ck30hst and have never had a problem with my 3 point lift capicity. I really cant think of any implement out there your going to use on a 30 hp tractor that weighs over 1800 lbs. The kubota 3130 shares its frame size with a few larger hp models the 3430 and 3830, hence the higher 3 point lift capacity. In my opinion both machines are very capable, the standard 513 loader on the 3130 and the k130 are about a wash in performance. As previously mentioned both machines are very similar in size and weight. You can upgrade with the kubota to the 723 loader for a improved lift capicity , but the Kioti will give you a better work viewing area with its curved arms for loader use. Try both machines out see which one feels better for you. You couldnt go wrong with either...

/ 3 point lift capacity question....
Thanks for the opinions, except for a $4000 price difference, the 'Bota and Kioti are very similar. Geeze, i have sweated less buying a new truck.....i guess it's the 30 year commitment....kinda like MARRIAGE!

RD

/ 3 point lift capacity question.... #7  
albmn10 . . . while your post and my post are in basic agreement, I would like to point out one thing. It is more of a technical correction, but it might be a consideration. You wrote: <font color="green"> I really cant think of any implement out there your going to use on a 30 hp tractor that weighs over 1800 lbs. </font>

I do agree, I'd be really hard pressed to find something other than a pallet of stone that would weigh more. However, please understand that if you are moving pallets of stone or similar material on a 48" pallet (which is the standard size shipping pallet) then you have to de-rate the 3pt capactiy even farther. 3pt capacity drops roughly 15% for every 12" behind the ball eyes. So if you can lift 1800# at 24" then you would lose roughly another 30% at 48" behind.

Very few implements would be an issue. However I can think of one implement that easily extends 6 to 7 feet behind a tractor and is very heavy. That would be a H.D. Rotary Cutter. A 1200# HD rotary cutter could very likely be too heavy for the CK30 but not the L3130. I don't own one, so I wouldn't care. But if heavy hogging is part of the future tasks, then that would become an issue.

/ 3 point lift capacity question.... #8  
Bob, i agree with you on the distance factor on the 3 point hithces, but again going back to both tractor pto ratings, any heavy duty brush hog weighing over 1200lbs will require much more then 24 hp at the pto. Just an example, take the woods 6000 hd brushhog ,it weighs 1212 lbs its only 5 ft in lenth but minimum tractor hp is 40. If you stepped up to the 6ft hd model 7200,it weighs 1330lbs, minumum hp is 50, neither tractor here will handle these implements. Your simply not going to use a 72 in heavy duty brush hog with either tractor at 24 pto hp. I agree their may be a occassional advantage for perhaps lifting a pallat of blocks but 9 times out of 10 this would not be a issue. Again i believe this extra lift capacity of the 3130 is geared more because it shares its frame with the larger hp models the 3430 and 3830. Both tractors are rated for 72in rear finish mowers, both machines will use the 5ft hd brush hogs,some people even use medium duty brush hogs with both machines. But even when going to woods medium duty brush hogs , such as the model 720, minimum hp again is at 35, hence the same situation. Both machines will have their advantages, but between these two models most uses will be very similar.

/ 3 point lift capacity question.... #9  
Again, I was not disagreeing with you, we already were in agreement. My post was simply a clarification of the 3pt ratings.

I simply wanted to make sure that people understand that it is not unreasonable to assume that a tractor with a 1800 pound capacity could lift 2400# if all the weight is held close, but it is also not unreasonable for a tractor with a 1800 pound capacity to be unable to lift 1200# if the weight is held farther back.

In my case, I've never run over capacity with a PTO driven implement but I cited the Bush Hog as an implement that carries its weight well behind the 24" capacity measuring point. I have been unable to lift many things that "theoretically" were within the weight capacity of the tractor, the problems I've run into were when the weight was too far back. That is why I also gave the example of the pallets of limestone & flagstone. But I've even had it happen with pallets of bark mulch after a couple days of rain.

/ 3 point lift capacity question....
Hmmm, now i understand why the dealer who gave me a quote on the Kioti didn't recommend a 6' hog. However the salesman on the 'bota quote did include a 6' hog, but later admitted that he didn't sell too many tractors. PTO hp on both is almost the same.
Thanks....

RD