3 point log splitter

/ 3 point log splitter #1  

Firefighter Kubota

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 7510
installing hydraulic lines for a 3 point log splitter

I am looking to install a 3 point log splitter on my 7510.

I'm buying a 16 ton with a piston to match the GPM,

I have seen the threads on installing a rear valve set, but I do not need the valves as the splitter has its own, I do need to install a high pressure line and a return.

wher should I come off the high pressure side? same as the power beyond or can I just "T" in, same for the return

Any coments

Last edited:
   / 3 point log splitter #2  
Re: installing hydraulic lines for a 3 point log splitter

I recommend buying a standalone. About the same expense, two stage pumps on them give good speed on the cheap. Choose the size you need instaed of what the tractor delivery limits you to, tow it anywhere on its wheels and park it to use it. Your tractor remains free to help feed it.
larry

/ 3 point log splitter #3  

I am looking to install a 3 point log splitter on my 7510.

I'm buying a 16 ton with a piston to match the GPM,

I have seen the threads on installing a rear valve set, but I do not need the valves as the splitter has its own, I do need to install a high pressure line and a return.

wher should I come off the high pressure side? same as the power beyond or can I just "T" in, same for the return

Any coments

I have a 3 point splitter and wouldn't go back to a stand alone as I was there before this one. I can drop the splitter to the ground and roll the chucks if I can't pick them up on to it. I never did find a stand alone that has the height that I put the 3 point at. I surely can see the argument from either side, but after using both I choose the 3 point. I have mine hooked up to the remotes so I can't give you advice on that. The Split-Fire I bought is fast enough to bury 2 of us at 1500 rpm feeding it. It splits all I have asked it to with ease.

/ 3 point log splitter #4  

I recommend buying a standalone. About the same expense, two stage pumps on them give good speed on the cheap. Choose the size you need instaed of what the tractor delivery limits you to, tow it anywhere on its wheels and park it to use it. Your tractor remains free to help feed it.
larry

I have always wanted to ask but never did. When you are splitting alone how do you "feed" the splitter? Put the chunk in/on the bucket/forks, drive up to the splitter, get off the tractor, roll it on the splitter, get back on the tractor to back away or lower the loader, then split? I'm not picking a fight, just wondering how this is done if this is a valid reason. Like I said before if chunks are too big: I back the tractor close to the pile, lower the 3 point, roll the chunk on, I raise the 3 point up but you don't have to, then split.

/ 3 point log splitter
Thanks. Another reason for the 3 ph type, height adjustment....

My dealer will install the lines I need for $350, but I know I can do it for 1/2 that

/ 3 point log splitter #6  

I have always wanted to ask but never did. When you are splitting alone how do you "feed" the splitter? Put the chunk in/on the bucket/forks, drive up to the splitter, get off the tractor, roll it on the splitter, get back on the tractor to back away or lower the loader, then split? I'm not picking a fight, just wondering how this is done if this is a valid reason. Like I said before if chunks are too big: I back the tractor close to the pile, lower the 3 point, roll the chunk on, I raise the 3 point up but you don't have to, then split.
well, For the pieces that are tooheavy to lift, I put a piece of plywood on the forks and load a bunch on. Then drive to the splitter and set the platform at the right height and position relative splitter and turn the tractor off. I roll each log onto the splitter and toss the pieces on a pallet. When full I move the pallet. My splitter stays at a comfortable work height. My tractor remains free. When not in use I can move the splitter be rolling it - by hand even. No need to attach it to the tractor to move.
larry

/ 3 point log splitter #7  

larry

Spyderlk, my local tractor dealer agrees with you, mainly due to the speed of the standalone splitter and why run a large diesel engine to power a log splitter. With that said I still purchased a Speedco 3 pt log splitter from TSC on sale over the summer. I have yet to try it out due to my need to paint it Kubota Orange and having it apart. The beauty of this model is that it can be operated in either the horizontal or vertical position to aid in loading the logs.

I will get back on how well it performs shortly.

/ 3 point log splitter #8  

I still purchased a Speedco 3 pt log splitter from TSC on sale over the summer. I have yet to try it out due to my need to paint it Kubota Orange and having it apart.

I cast my vote for this month's most dedicated Kubota owner by the qoute above.:)

/ 3 point log splitter #9  

I still purchased a Speedco 3 pt log splitter from TSC on sale over the summer. I have yet to try it out due to my need to paint it Kubota Orange and having it apart.

I cast my vote for this month's most dedicated Kubota owner by the qoute above.:)

I have to 2nd that motion.....:D

/ 3 point log splitter #10  
How many GPM and at what rpm, is your tractor? I built my log splitter with a 16gpm 2 stage pump and a 5" cylinder. Your tractor hydraulics operate in the area of 2000psi, so the way to splitting pressure is in the cylinder diameter. Unfortunately the bigger the cylinder the more gpm you need to operate with much speed. Even at WOT my splitter is no speed demon with the large cylinder but is plenty fast for me by myself, The problem your going to run into is, I believe, your tractors hydraulic output is around 6 or 7 gpm and that's probably at pto rpm. You will have to run a smaller cylinder to increase your ram speed and in doing so you sacrifice splitting force.