3 pt Sickle bar mower

/ 3 pt Sickle bar mower #1  

kspring61

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE HST Ford 8N
Looking at a good way to cut the edges of my fields (under tree branches). Would a 7 ft 3pt sickle bar be the thing to use? Will it cut small bushes/trees that are up to an inch diameter? Tired of having to duck around branches and having branches tear up my signal indicators on the fenders but would like to keep the underbrush and grass cut back on the edges.

/ 3 pt Sickle bar mower #2  
It will, but it will be slow going.

An alternative that i have done is to use a brush hog and back it into the field edges (under the trees). Also takes awhile, but it will do a better job thsn the sickle bar.

With the sickle bar, I would leave the cuttings on the ground and then go around with the brush hog to grind them up.

/ 3 pt Sickle bar mower #3  
A sickle bar will reach under nicely. If you get one with a wobble drive and not a pitman arm then can mow while in the vertical position.
When somewhat gentle use I have scissored through 1 1/2" limbs, green ones not dead and dry.

/ 3 pt Sickle bar mower #4  
A sickle bar mower would work great for that. I bought a 9' New Holland 451 to trim around my lake and found that trimming under the branches is a nice side-benefit. You may think about a 9 footer ... the extra 2 feet may be useful.

/ 3 pt Sickle bar mower #5  
Looking at a good way to cut the edges of my fields (under tree branches). Would a 7 ft 3pt sickle bar be the thing to use? Will it cut small bushes/trees that are up to an inch diameter? Tired of having to duck around branches and having branches tear up my signal indicators on the fenders but would like to keep the underbrush and grass cut back on the edges.
If you can run it, go for the nine footer.

/ 3 pt Sickle bar mower #6  
Used the MF high speed wobble box 7’ to mow hay and maintain boarders. Hitting a dead stem from a previous cut could damage a blade. Still had to chainsaw bigger and higher stuff. Could see and extra 2’ helpful sometimes but easier to hang up on.

Reach up grab with Danuser Intimdator and tear branches off works. Now going around with hydraulic polesaw. Instantly cuts
Always be careful. Hazardous work.

/ 3 pt Sickle bar mower #7  
NH 451 here, and it's probably the best of the sickle mowers made, mine just keeps on keeping on!

Sickle mowers don't take much power to run, but you need a tractor heavy enough tractor to offset that bar sticking out there.

SR

/ 3 pt Sickle bar mower #8  
It will work, slow going but it will slice bigger stuff even though it's not made for it. 1" would be pushing it, but it should handle one or two at time, no way would you be able to mow a field of bushes that size without breakage.

/ 3 pt Sickle bar mower #9  
I have an International 1300, wobble drive. I don't intentionally but saplings with it but it does happen. Snap of a section now and then. Good to have bolt on sections.

/ 3 pt Sickle bar mower #10  
Came close to buying a sickle bar last year to cut tall weeds/briars along road. I re-evaluated when I realized that every 4-10 ' was a tree, big or little and would have to be constantly raising and lowering the bar. And the breakage history. My advice to you, having my own fields being encroached on by fast growing locusts, maples, poplars etc is to get a pole saw or even carry "lopers" on your tractor and cut those limbs sticking out catching your turn sigs.
Also, as a poster suggested, back your bush hog under the trees......slow but very effective. Think long and hard before you spend money on a sickle bar requiring lots of maintenance. Their made for fields of hay....not saplings or limbs.