3 pts snow blower throw further

/ 3 pts snow blower throw further
Yes everything is smooth and that snow blower just blow a few time a years for personal use only grease and lubricated well done.....

/ 3 pts snow blower throw further #12  
Something simply is not right with the way your unit is set up. I used a Pronovost 72" some-thing-or-other on my tractor last year. The snow was dry but compact and about 20 to 24 inches deep. Under these condition this setup threw the snow at least 60 to 70 feet.

Granted my tractor is 56 PTO HP but your 28 PTO HP should be doing a lot better than 10 feet.

Someplace a pin has sheared or a belt is slipping.

/ 3 pts snow blower throw further #13  
If you check the Provonost website, they advertise a step up gearbox for their smaller units. It bumps up the 540 to about 740. A lot of the older Yanmar's, and other makes had multiple speed pto's with a 720 to 760 range and the Puma may be a carry-over from those days. My Yanmar branded blower is dismal at 540 but would be impressive at 740. I wonder if a member has had experience with the step-up gearbox.

/ 3 pts snow blower throw further #14  
Hello Pekan,

The members of the forum have gone from A to Z in what you should be looking at IF AND ONLY IF you are running the PUMA at the 540 RPM engine speed at a low travel speed in reverse to cast the snow back.

Are you using the Pronovost provided PTO shaft that came with the 64 inch PUMA?

IS the PUMA you own equipped with the accelerator option to speed the impeller to 756 R.P.M. at the 540 R.P.M. PTO speed?

It may be that the Power take off needs to be adjusted as it could be slipping.

This is only possible if you have "thoroughly inspected" the shear pins on the impeller shaft to the gear box and the shear pins/keys in the cross shaft to the chain drive?

You should:

1. use a paint stick to mark the PTO shaft at both ends to check for slippage on the PTO shaft
2. use a paint stick to mark the impeller shaft at the shear pin to check for slippage
3. Mark the cross shaft at the drive sprocket with the paint stick to check for slippage and a partially sheared key

With the PTO shaft disconnected from the mule you should hold the PTO Shaft at the yoke if possible with a pipe wrench and have someone turn the impeller with some force to see if the key may be sheared as the shaft and shear pin could be binding to a point where it will have very little torque to rotate the impeller.

As you have a hydro powered mule you also may be low on oil or the filter or filters may need to be changed.

If you are running the mule at the required engine speed for the 540 RPM rear P.T.O. speed and your snow is not being blasted out of the chute you are losing the torque needed to spin the impeller.

If everything is right, the oil level is ok, the shear pins and keys are intact and the PTO shaft is ok you probably have to have the P.T.O. control adjusted on your Kioti as it is not fully in contact with the driven shaft(PTO stub shaft. I hope that is the only issue.

I would call your Kioti dealer and ask about the transmission and oil filters and whether you have to have it adjusted to gain more torque or whether the clutch discs need to be replaced.

/ 3 pts snow blower throw further #15  
Some blowers just won't and aren't going to throw the snow real far. The reason is, they don't have a fast enough "fan speed"...

I had an Alloway (same blower deer sold) that was that way, the fan just didn't turn fast enough to throw the snow very far...

There was NO fixing that, so I sent it down the road!

SR

/ 3 pts snow blower throw further #16  
Some blowers just won't and aren't going to throw the snow real far. The reason is, they don't have a fast enough "fan speed"...

I had an Alloway (same blower deer sold) that was that way, the fan just didn't turn fast enough to throw the snow very far...

There was NO fixing that, so I sent it down the road!

SR
My fix for the Alloway is to run the PTO at around 650 RPM. Throws the snow just fine then. On my tractor this is easy to do since the Rear PTO can run either 540 or 960. Use 960 and run the engine speed lower. Never had an HP issue yet.

/ 3 pts snow blower throw further #17  
Assuming everything else like shear pins, keys and such are ok then your only option may be to get the accelerator so the fan rpm is faster.

I have a WIFO 78" blower with a 27" fan that runs at 540 rpm, it throws snow fine. Pronovost shows your Puma has a 22" housing so roughly a 21" fan. 3" difference in the fan radius can make quite a difference in centrifugal force to throw the snow.

By Pronovost even offering the accelerator for their home units suggests to me this has been a constant problem for them.

/ 3 pts snow blower throw further #18  
If my calculations are correct the following applies,

a 21" fan x 3.14= 65.94" circumference, x 540 rpm = the fan tips running at 35607 inches per minute.
a 27" fan x 3.14= 84.78" circumference, x 540 rpm = the fan tips running at 45781 inches per minute.
a 21" fan x 3.14= 65.94" circumference, x 756 rpm = the fan tips running at 49850 inches per minute.

As you can see, fan diameter and rpm make quite a bit of difference in centrifugal force to throw snow.

/ 3 pts snow blower throw further #19  
I have the same model blower and it throws the type of snow you described about 30-50 feet.

Looks like the responses here have covered most everything. I'll mention one that you and others may find a bit silly, but bears getting a mention. Are you running it with the chute deflector in a low or the lowest position? If and when I do this I get about a 10 foot throw distance.

/ 3 pts snow blower throw further #20  
My fix for the Alloway is to run the PTO at around 650 RPM. Throws the snow just fine then. On my tractor this is easy to do since the Rear PTO can run either 540 or 960. Use 960 and run the engine speed lower. Never had an HP issue yet.
Agreed, but my tinker toy tractor didn't have enough nuts to run the blower in the higher pto speed unless the snow was pretty light, so that was a problem...

SR