3 Share Plow

/ 3 Share Plow #1  

suncoast

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4720 Cab
I am about to regrade (level) a few acres in my back property and had a question about using a plow. 2 years ago I did about 2 acres with a disc and box blade. It turned out very nice but did take a lot of passes with the disc to get the soil ready for blading. I have a chance to get a 3 share plow and was wondering if some of you that have used plows had some advice? I'm hoping this will save a lot of time and fuel using this before the disc. Thanks for your help. Gene

/ 3 Share Plow #2  
What sort of tractor do you have to pull it with? Any idea what brand of plow? 3-point? Is it 3X12"'s? 3X14"'s? or 3X16"'s? Coulters? Over-all condition of the plow?

/ 3 Share Plow
I have a JD 4720 (60 HP) 4 wd, that should be plenty. The plow is an allis chalmers 3x16", looks in good shape from pictures, no coulters. My question was what condition would the ground be in after running a plow over it? Last time I mowed close, sprayed and used my disc first. The disc took many passes (it has 18" Discs that were buried to the axle) to rid and cover growth. My soil in central Florida is basically sandy but the bahia grass is very tough. This is why I was hoping the plow would just turn this under and what would it look like after. I would then disc. and grade.

/ 3 Share Plow #4  
60hp, mfwd, and a 3X16 plow, you've got a good combo. A GOOD plow, well tuned, should bury MOST of the sod and roots. Plow, then disc, but don't try to disc deep. Maybe 3" to 4" tops. Beyond that, you'll just bring the roots and grass back to the surface.

You should end up after plowing with a semi-level field. There'll be a few ridges from each plow furrow, but nothing too serious. One pass with a disc in sandy soil should bring it back to level real quick.

2 acres isn't a big piece of ground at all with a 3 bottom plow. I'd take the extra time and plow it all in one direction to eliminate a back furrow or dead furrow. That'll keep things as level as possible from the get-go.

/ 3 Share Plow
I apreciate the input, should I disc perpendicular to the direction of the plowing? These 2 acres are just the next phase, there are several more as I get my irrigation and palm trees in. I have fabricated a box blade with hydraulic arms at the rear with wheels and a 4' extension tongue at the front (detachable) that is controlled independantly of the box. It is an excellent set-up that I have pictures of the build and finished product that will be on here soon! I am hoping to sell these as ordered as there are many other growers or just landowners with less than a 100 acres who want something of very high quality to finish their land who don't have 150 hp tractors to pull 12 -15' scraper/ movers. Also, would coulters if I can find some that would fit this plow help? Once again, thanks, Gene

/ 3 Share Plow #6  
suncoast said:
I apreciate the input, should I disc perpendicular to the direction of the plowing? These 2 acres are just the next phase, there are several more as I get my irrigation and palm trees in. I have fabricated a box blade with hydraulic arms at the rear with wheels and a 4' extension tongue at the front (detachable) that is controlled independantly of the box. It is an excellent set-up that I have pictures of the build and finished product that will be on here soon! I am hoping to sell these as ordered as there are many other growers or just landowners with less than a 100 acres who want something of very high quality to finish their land who don't have 150 hp tractors to pull 12 -15' scraper/ movers. Also, would coulters if I can find some that would fit this plow help? Once again, thanks, Gene

Coulters help in sod ground or where there's surface crop residue. Personally, I won't use a plow without them.

Discing at slight angles to the direction you plow is preferable. 90 degrees will be very rough and discing parallel, the tractor wants to sink in between the furrow slices.

Years ago, John Deere marketed a ground leveling device very simular to what you're describing. Sounds like a good plan.