3000 series Filter Pak?

/ 3000 series Filter Pak? #1  

dirtworksequip

Veteran Member
Tractor
2006 JD 3520 w/cab & 300CX loader. 1995 JD 870 w/440 loader & 8b backhoe.JD 455 w/54" mower deck.
Are the 3000 series Filter Paks listed on eBay a good deal at $119.0 or are the cheaper at a Deere dealer?
Includes 2 oil filters, fuel filter, transmission/hyd. filter and air filter.

Thanks, Dirt

/ 3000 series Filter Pak? #2  
Dirt --- saw those, too. I compared the price with what I pay for a 970 and the oil filter is $8.50, the primary air filter is around $32.00, the secondary (don't know which one is in the package) is about $30.00, the hydraulic filter is $23.00, and the fuel filter is around $8.00 for the one on the tank, the other one near the pump is around $10.

So, what's that come to -- $17+$32+$23+$10 = ~$82 plus tax.

With shipping from eBay added in --- not likely a good buy. Course it just might pencil out better for a 3000 guy but if your filters are in the ballpark with what I pay --- doesn't add up.

AKfish

/ 3000 series Filter Pak? #3  
dirtworksequip said:
Are the 3000 series Filter Paks listed on eBay a good deal at $119.0 or are the cheaper at a Deere dealer?
Includes 2 oil filters, fuel filter, transmission/hyd. filter and air filter.

Thanks, Dirt

I have a 3320 eHydro. I paid $85.00 for the hydro filter alone at my dealer. I have not done a side by side comparison of individual filter costs vs. the filter pack. But I will next time I need to do a service.

KB

/ 3000 series Filter Pak?
Hmmmmmmmm,so if its $8.50 x 2 oil filters= 17.00
hyd filter = 85.00
sec.air filter= 30.00
fuel filter 10.00
TOTAL $142.00 plus tax.
eBay $119.00 plus shipping
Looks like the eBay Filter pak might save about $12.00 once you factor in shipping and tax. I'll have to check with a dealer to see what they charge for the Filter Pak.

Thanks for your input and info guys. At least that gave me something to think about.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ 3000 series Filter Pak? #5  
Whoa... $85 for a hydraulic filter? I've been lookin' at a JD110 and checkin' out the various costs of ownership, etc.

A hydraulic filter for that tractor (mondo hydraulic pump (3)) is just a shade over $36....

I'd likely be lookin' for another option than that dealer for my next filter purchase!

AKfish

/ 3000 series Filter Pak? #6  
AKfish said:
Whoa... $85 for a hydraulic filter? I've been lookin' at a JD110 and checkin' out the various costs of ownership, etc.

A hydraulic filter for that tractor (mondo hydraulic pump (3)) is just a shade over $36....

I'd likely be lookin' for another option than that dealer for my next filter purchase!

AKfish

The hydro filter for my 3320 is about 9" long and 3.25" in diameter with fine corrugated steel mesh (looks like stainless) rather than the paper mesh you see in an oil filter. I paid $72 in June 2006 so $85 today sounds right. I did receive a free filter pack from JD in Oct 2006 which was valued at $115 at that time.
Given that my hydro filter is good for 400 hours and considering what I have invested in the tractor, I'll stick with the JD filter.

/ 3000 series Filter Pak? #7  
Here she is,the infamous $85.00 filter, in all her glory.

Behold.

KB

Attachments

• filter out.JPG
    filter out.JPG
    350 KB · Views: 194
  • filter clean.JPG
    filter clean.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 195
   / 3000 series Filter Pak? #8  
Killer_B said:
Here she is,the infamous $85.00 filter, in all her glory.

Behold.

KB

Killer, I know you've mentioned it before but would you share with us once again what tool you used to remove the filter?

Thanks.

/ 3000 series Filter Pak? #9  
Superduper said:
Killer, I know you've mentioned it before but would you share with us once again what tool you used to remove the filter?

Thanks.

Here is my approach:
On my 3320 the hydraulic filter cap is 4.5" in diameter. I got a large band wrench at VIP auto designed for Cummins/Detroit filters which worked. A standard oil filter wrench will not do it. My filter case was on very tight, the big band wrench just barely got it off.

/ 3000 series Filter Pak? #10  
Hmm... does your 3000 series have a 2nd spin-on cansiter type in addition to the sump filter?

My older 970 has a canister filter that looks just like a large oil filter. JDParts has a picture diagram of the 110 tractor and it appears that it too, has a spin on filter.

Of course, the sump filter is a fine mesh stainles steel filter that I clean with solvent and a fine brush (old toothbrush) and then reinstall.

The sump filter is serviced at 400 hours and all the hydraulic fluids are replaced at the same time.

The canister filter is replaced at (I've changed it when I change the engine oil) at 200 hours or so.

Maybe we're talking about two different filters or filter types....

AKfish