3016 hst low voltage at glow plug bus bar

/ 3016 hst low voltage at glow plug bus bar #1  

Tom3016

Tractor
2014 Mahindra 3016
Hello all I'm Tom, first off I'd like to give thanks for all the great info I've learned from this site, my 3016 has been a awesome little tractor for my needs and haven't had a single problem untill it wouldn't start right after I just started it and let it warm up some on a fairly chilly day, than shut it down to install a new battery, I reviewed all the posts about glow plug issues, and cleaned connectors and put a loop connector at the bus bar but just before reconnecting it I checked voltage during the initial glow plug warm up period and it only showed 8 volts? reconnected it and it would not start it. so I did a direct jumper from battery to glow plug for approx 10-12 seconds and it popped right off.. so I have a couple of questions, what controls the voltage to the bus bar? and what should I see for voltage with the little fuel pump clicking away?

Super thanks in advance, it's getting colder up here in MN.

Tom in Blaine MN

/ 3016 hst low voltage at glow plug bus bar #2  
I don't know what controls anything on a Mahindra. I do know that most NGK glow plugs are designed for 10.5 volts. 8 sounds a bit low.

/ 3016 hst low voltage at glow plug bus bar #3  
It sounds as if your glow plug timer/relay has failed. Is the glow plug light on the dash coming on when you turn the key to activate it? This has been a common problem on the 15 series, not sure about the 16 series, but platforms are similar.

/ 3016 hst low voltage at glow plug bus bar
Good morning guys thank you so much for the quick response, yes the indicator light does come on and than goes out after several seconds, I did do some research on the NGK Q.G.S. controller 30H66-02300, Model R81NJ and came across some electrical wizard that had a few versions of this controller broke down, he didn't specify exactly which one. it seems there is a ramp up voltage, peak voltage, than a trailing voltage, that part was for reduced emmissions, but no specific numbers as it was on a graph, there are some other inputs with temperature but I couldn't understand where the input was coming from. I'd hate to pay for a new part than not have it work. Anybody know where the best place is to buy a new controller?

/ 3016 hst low voltage at glow plug bus bar #5  
I know this is going to sound like I'm insulting you, but: considering the problem occurred right after installing a new battery, I'd check the battery connections again.

Otherwise, here's what the service manual says about the glow controller:

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-10-26 12-10-43.png
    Screenshot from 2021-10-26 12-10-43.png
    207.3 KB · Views: 165
   / 3016 hst low voltage at glow plug bus bar #6  
Also, take a look at the "Energize to run solenoid"

Thanks lagolan, no worries on the insult, that was the 1st place I went back to : ) never know when a guy can jack something like that up, I do not know what the "Energize to run" solenoid is, it cranked with the key but manually jumpered from + post to 1st glow plug at the bus bar and it started like nothing was ever wrong with it... Bye the way on my initial post I asked where the best place was to buy this controller? the answer is, any place you can find one

It came from Bills Tractor and Equipment out of Adkins Texas great service and the controller got here fast/ a day early

UPDATE when I removed the old controller I examined the 2 blades {bigger ones} in the socket that control the output voltage to the glow plug bus bar, 1 was clean and the other was almost black but not from over heating just some type of oxide, possibly the reason for my low voltage, I didn't have anything to clean it to test that idea so I installed the new one and cleaned it when I got home, the tractor started perfect with new controller installed. I want to thank everybody for their input.

Tom