3020 3-point won't go low enough

/ 3020 3-point won't go low enough #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Hi Guys,

I have about a 1965 John Deere 3020 diesel. The lower arms on the 3 point won't go low enough. They work fine, I just need them to drop lower. I've tried lengthening them using the pins that allow the arms to extend but that doesn't help much. I know there are levers on the top by the seat and I think those are supposed to adjust the height of the arms, aren't they?

I'm using a middle buster to make a trench and the arms won't go low enough to make the trench as deep as I would like.

As you can tell, I don't know a lot about my tractor yet.

Last edited:
   / 3020 3-point won't go low enough #2  
You mention levers by the seat. That makes me think you have a newer 3020 than 1965. Where is the lever that you use to raise and lower the hitch? If it is on the right side of the seat, you have a "new style" 3020 which is newer than 1968. With that style tractor, the lever closest to the seat raises and lowers the hitch. The other 1 or 2 levers control the scv's where you can plug hydraulic hoses in the back of the tractor to operate implements with hydrauliic cylinders or motors. The other control for the hitch would be on that same pedestal but down lower closer to your right foot. There should be a short lever with 4 notches to adjust. If you want a consistent depth with your middle buster, I would put that lever in the "D" setting. If you want draft sensing so the hydraulics automatically raise the hitch to get you through a tough spot without getting tractor stuck, use "L" or one of the "LD" notches. Regardless of which setting you use, you should get plenty of depth if all linkages is adjusted properly and the hitch is working properly. Can you take some pictures of the hitch when it is fully raised and lowered without anything on the hitch? Maybe additional pictures of the middle buster installed while raised and at full depth when in the ground? That would help determine your problem.

/ 3020 3-point won't go low enough
The lever that I use to raise and lower the 3-point is on the dash. There are 2 levers there. One runs the rear remotes and the other runs the 3-point.

The levers I was talking about are the adjusting levers at the top of the lift link that runs from the 3-point arms upwards towards the seat.

/ 3020 3-point won't go low enough #4  
If I'm understanding you correctly you referring to parts key #4 as the lever. Yes parts key #1 was designed to turn in parts key #17 to adjust how high/low draft links will travel. I'll bet they're stuck tight and a LOT OF HEAT will be the only solution.

Attachments

• L122823________UN26OCT95.gif
    L122823________UN26OCT95.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 1,063
   / 3020 3-point won't go low enough
If I'm understanding you correctly you referring to parts key #4 as the lever. Yes parts key #1 was designed to turn in parts key #17 to adjust how high/low draft links will travel. I'll bet they're stuck tight and a LOT OF HEAT will be the only solution.

Hi Jim,

That is what I was asking about. They aren't stuck (thankfully). I did some reading though and apparently there is only 1 1/4 inches of adjustment on those links and that's not going to be enough. I see photos where the lower rocker arms on a 3 point are almost touching the ground. Mine sit about 10 inches or more off the ground. Some of my attachments won't even touch the ground when I go to unhook or hook them up. I wish those arms would drop lower but I guess I'm stuck with the situation.

/ 3020 3-point won't go low enough #6  
I sure thought there was more than 1-1/4 adjustment in the threads on the lift links.It's possible the control cable isn't traveling the full length of it's outside cover. As jd110 suggested put the L/D control lever in "D"

/ 3020 3-point won't go low enough #7  
How far do the upper lift arms travel? they should be near vertical when fully raised and parallel with the ground when fully down. If the arms won't go down to parallel, the linkage needs adjustment.

/ 3020 3-point won't go low enough #8  
Are the lift arms on splines? If so can they be removed and and put back on for a lower position?:D

/ 3020 3-point won't go low enough #9  
I would remove the middle buster and see how low the arms will go. Most tractors will let them get about 8 inches from the ground approximately. That would be a good starting point, need to determine whether the problem is the hitch or the implement.