3020 Air Cleaner oil bath or no?

/ 3020 Air Cleaner oil bath or no? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
I have an early 1960's 3020 Diesel. My filter looks like this photo.

The manual talks about adding oil to the air filter but the photo in the manual does not look like this photo. The manual shows something that looks more like a series of rings or plates.

muxJoyBqj5ABnNeZdy9TRPQ.jpg

As shown in this photo, it does look like one could put oil in the bowl. However, I read about a "dry" filter that was not a paper filter. So my question is, do I put oil in this thing or not?

/ 3020 Air Cleaner oil bath or no?
Wow 72 people looked at this and nobody knows anything about it. Must be MF tractor owners looking to trade up!

/ 3020 Air Cleaner oil bath or no? #3  
Part in your photo is a pre-cleaner bowl. Oil cup(parts key 18) is below hood as has a line for oil level. Have you considered getting an operators manual. OM contains a wealth of valuable information.

Attachments

• R13268_________UN01JAN94.gif
    R13268_________UN01JAN94.gif
    10.9 KB · Views: 823
   / 3020 Air Cleaner oil bath or no?
Part in your photo is a pre-cleaner bowl. Oil cup(parts key 18) is below hood as has a line for oil level. Have you considered getting an operators manual. OM contains a wealth of valuable information.

I was looking in the operators manual. I must have looked in the wrong section. Thanks for the help. That makes a lot of sense.

/ 3020 Air Cleaner oil bath or no? #5  
The bowl in your picture is usually mounted above the hood. I found these bowls trapped a lot of dirt that never made it to the filter below the hood. I had the same bowls on my 4020 and often wish I had something similar on my newer compacts.

/ 3020 Air Cleaner oil bath or no? #6  
The oilbath has a mark to fill ....clean enjineoil and never overfill ! Overfiill and oil can be sucked into the engine and you have a run-away engine !

/ 3020 Air Cleaner oil bath or no? #7  
The bowl #18 in above picture needs to be removed and cleaned. It will collect a lot of dirt. After it is cleaned refill with oil to the oil line and install.