3020 Diesel Injector leak?

/ 3020 Diesel Injector leak? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Hi All,

Was mowing today and I noticed diesel dripping when I shut the engine off. It seems to be coming from the area of the fuel injector. It would be the most rearward injector and behind the generator. I didn't have a decent flashlight but near as I could tell it wasn't the rubber hose going to the injector. I think it was coming out around the base of the injector. I know it could likely be any number of things and I won't know until I work on it, but I was wondering if there was something common that typically causes this? It looked like there might be a bracket and a bolt holding the injector in? I was wondering if that bolt might need tightening.

I've never worked on the injector on this tractor before. Just trying to get some info before I tear into it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
   / 3020 Diesel Injector leak? #2  
If the bolt holding injector in were loose, you most likely would see a compression leak. Most often when there is a fuel leak there, it is the rubber "boot" on top of the injector. A loose fitting at the fuel line, cracked fuel line or bad injector are likely causes.

/ 3020 Diesel Injector leak? #3  
You can go to jdparts and put in your model no. and pick the choices by s/n and fuel injector schematics. With the schematics, are parts and no's for a pretty good description of what you are trying to sort out.
John Deere - Parts Catalog

There is more knowledge and experience behind member jd110, so follow his advice. ;)

/ 3020 Diesel Injector leak?
Okay, that helps! Thank you!

If the bolt holding injector in were loose, you most likely would see a compression leak. Most often when there is a fuel leak there, it is the rubber "boot" on top of the injector. A loose fitting at the fuel line, cracked fuel line or bad injector are likely causes.

/ 3020 Diesel Injector leak? #5  
It would help to know if your tractors ""engine serial number"" is below or above 068000. Earlier SN had large Bosch injectors & later SN had pencil injectors with a rubber boot(R34765) that has a long history of leaking when they get old & brittle. If your tractor has rubber boots if you need to replace one you're much better off to replace ALL of the boots.

Jim,

Thank you for the info and for the advice. My tractor has the rubber boots. I did purchase all of them for replacement. I've never replaced one before and I suspected I may need to loosen the tube (rail?) that they all connect to and I figured if there was any movement at all the other boots would probably start leaking.

Any tips on how to replace them? Am I correct that the feed tube (rail?) may need loosening?

Thanks!

/ 3020 Diesel Injector leak? #7  
Yes, you need to remove the fittings on each end of the line completely or else you will bend the line and possibly cause it to crack and leak. I like to take the line all the way off and then remove all the old boots. Slide all the new boots down on the injectors and secure with clamps. Then install the second clamp down near the lower one. then fit the line down into the boots and tighten the fittings on each end. Then position the upper clamps into place.

/ 3020 Diesel Injector leak? #8  
Ditto what jd110 stated. If utilizing factory spring type clamps having correct pliers helps when installing the clamps

Those clamps really are annoying! I got everything apart and will put it back together a little later today. Meanwhile I'm going to make some calls to see if I can find a spring clamp pliers. There was a bit of cussing going on taking it apart!

Ditto what jd110 stated. If utilizing factory spring type clamps having correct pliers helps when installing the clamps

/ 3020 Diesel Injector leak? #10  
Google "spring clamp pliers" and lots of hits show up..