3020 PTO speeds / auxilliary shaft?

/ 3020 PTO speeds / auxilliary shaft? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Hi Guys,

I don't know much about tractors (trying to learn). I have a 3020 Diesel and I just picked up a 3-point PTO wood chipper (Wallenstein BX42). Some of the guys on the forum have talked about running their chippers at speeds higher than 540 RPM. On my tractor, my engine has to run at about 2,000 RPM for a 540 RPM PTO shaft speed.

Since I have way more HP than the chipper needs, I was thinking about idling the tractor down some and maybe running it around 1,000 RPM. My tractor has an extra PTO shaft and I believe someone told me that you get a 1,000 RPM on the PTO if you swap that shaft for the normal shaft? But, correct me if I'm wrong, I think the faster shaft has more splines than the normal shaft?

So..... what I'm wondering is if they make a PTO shaft for my tractor that will run a 1,000 RPM but has the correct number of splines to mate up with my attachment? Also, am I looking for trouble or do you think it might make sense to do what I'm considering? Seems like it would be easier on the tractor and use a lot less fuel if I don't have to run it so hard.

/ 3020 PTO speeds / auxilliary shaft? #2  
If you're referring to a 3020 rowcrop tractor '64-'72 yr model then yes the pto shaft can be switched from 540 to 1000 rpm. It helps to nose tractor off in a ditch to limit amt of hyd oil loss while swapping the shafts. You will also need a 21 splined yoke or adapter for the 1000 rpm pto shaft.

/ 3020 PTO speeds / auxilliary shaft?
Thanks Jim. I talked to the local dealer and they thought this might be a viable option.

/ 3020 PTO speeds / auxilliary shaft?
As a follow-up, I'm now running my tractor at only a 1,000 RPM and it chips wood like crazy. Should save a lot of fuel and wear and tear on the tractor.