3020 Series Cab - any regrets?

/ 3020 Series Cab - any regrets? #1  

turbo36

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD X739 AWS (3), 2016 Toolcat, JD 2038R
Is anyone that bought a cab model unhappy with the decision? I'm having trouble deciding if the cab will seem too "constrictive" when doing work in the summer or will I quickly forget about it when it is zero degrees out and I'm blowing snow into a head wind?

/ 3020 Series Cab - any regrets? #2  
By too restrictive, do you mean, having the AC on when it is 100 degrees outside?

/ 3020 Series Cab - any regrets? #3  
For what it is worth (I have a 4110 Jd) thinking of some day 3520, I looked at the cabs and they are the cats meow. But when I buy I will opt for no cab. I use my tractor to cut 4 acres or so and it would be great in the use. But I use my tractor 50 % moving large logs around loading them to the spliter so I am on and off the tractor a lot. So access in out would be slower. But I would think in most cases it would be great.

Roger

/ 3020 Series Cab - any regrets? #4  
I opted not to get the cab on my 3320. Of course, the $6000 price tag made my decision a little easier. If it were a third or even half of that, I probably would have opted for it. I figured I would gauge my use and I could always trade-in for a cab model later if I really missed it.

I know I may regret it this winter while using the front mount snow blower. The heat would definitely be nice in the winter. Even an enclosure without heat would be nice to keep out the wind and snow. I'm hoping I won't need to be out there too long to clear my driveway with a 59" snow blower.

The heat was the only consideration for me. I didn't care about the AC. We have mild summers here and I don't mind working in the outdoor air. If I were in a warmer climate, such as Arizona, this would be a no brainer.

So far I'm glad I didn't get it. I enjoy the freedom of the open-air operators platform. During non-winter work, I find myself constantly jumping on and off the tractor for various reasons and I think the cab would just get in my way.

I'm also glad because I have been going through some pretty heavy alder brush and trees. I would be concerned about damaging the cab while doing this type of work.

I will say that night work is pretty annoying without a cab. The optional front and/or rear work lights act as bug magnets. I constantly have a swarm around my head, up my nose, in my eyes, in my ears, etc. It's not too bad while you are moving but it's nearly unbearable while sitting still or moving slowly.

If you are allergic to anything such as bees, hornets, pollen, etc., then that would be another reason to seriously consider the cab.

Another consideration is the iMatch. Can you reach the iMatch handles through the rear window? It seems like you would be able to but I'm not positive.

Another major consideration is a backhoe. I don't believe a BH is available with the cab model.

Another consideration is the height. There are no foldable ROPS so make sure it is going to fit in your garage, barn, etc.

/ 3020 Series Cab - any regrets? #5  
I have Zero Regrets. I would never go non cab again. Once you've had it you are spoiled.

As far as branches go etc, just have some clippers with you, and little by little your whole property will be cab safe in a years time. Also, I find the optional vertical exhaust helps as a constant reminder that yes, you should look out for your cab. But really, I don't find it too bad to move around with a cab. Not at all.

People can talk about their fresh air, etc.... I know one thing when I get in the cab, I'm either very warm because of the heat, or very cool because of the AC. Also I'm very dry, and very clean.

I use my Machine for lots of things, but snow removal is the most important to me, because we have a lot of interconnected properties here, and I also run a retail business. I know when I have to go out and move some snow for ten minutes in between lulls on a stormy day, I don't have to get all suited up, I can come in dry. I can listen to my tunes. I can answer my cell phone (cab is very quiet). I can fill up my fuel without getting dirty, (fuel fill is on the fender right where all tractors should have it). No bending over a filthy machine to fill it up. Like I said, I need to stay clean and dry for my work. This is the perfect solution for me.

As far as mowing fields after dark, The lighting on the cab is far superior, no bugs, no dirt, no allergies.

As far as getting in and out a lot, for a guy that needs to jump in and out a lot to make minor adjustments... it takes two seconds to open and close a door. Or, if you need to, and you are in an open area, just leave your door open if you need to. Just don't forget and drive thru the woods with it open of course. But I'm sure if you are just working in an open field moving logs around, the door should'nt be an issue at all.... just a sour grape excuse.

Cabs are costly, but they are worth it too me. The only reason I see for not getting one is of course "money" or as of now no chance of having a backhoe.

Other than that, Yes, they are awesome...

Last edited:
   / 3020 Series Cab - any regrets? #6  
Jason pretty much sums up the points of having a cab. I do not think that you will find anyone that has bought a tractor with a cab that has any regrets about that choice. A cab gives you protection from rain,sleet and snow. Temperature extremes. Bugs and bees. Dust,pollen and exhaust fumes and noise. What more could you want!
It does not take any longer to get out of a cab than off an OROPS.

/ 3020 Series Cab - any regrets? #7  
Let me first state that I'm not trying to argue the point that an open-air platform is better than a cab. I'm a big fan of the cab and would have gone with it in a hear beat if it wasn't so expensive.

JasonMac said:
People can talk about their fresh air, etc.
If you are constantly either working in an office all day or driving around in a vehicle, you can come to appreciate a little outdoor air while working on your tractor. For me, it's a welcome change and I truly don't mind it.

JasonMac said:
I know when I have to go out and move some snow for ten minutes in between lulls on a stormy day, I don't have to get all suited up, I can come in dry.
This is a good point and I will definitely be missing a cab on the days I have to deal with this.

JasonMac said:
I can fill up my fuel without getting dirty, (fuel fill is on the fender right where all tractors should have it).
This is a nice feature. You lose a little in tank capacity but the fill location is more convenient. With that said, it's not a big deal to stand on the operator platform and use the fill on the hood. A no-spill nozzle is a must.

JasonMac said:
As far as mowing fields after dark, The lighting on the cab is far superior, no bugs, no dirt, no allergies.
I second this. I do alot of my mowing when it's getting dark and a cab would be nice to keep the bugs out.

JasonMac said:
the door should'nt be an issue at all.... just a sour grape excuse.
I'm not sure what the sour grapes comment is about. No sour grapes here. I simply feel the door could get a little annoying at times. I have used a backhoe with an enclosed cab and the doors have annoyed me when doing in & out work. I have also used skidsteers with and without front doors; I always prefer using the one without the door for in & out work.

dirtworksequip said:
exhaust fumes and noise
These are some other good considerations. By rights, the tractor is loud enough so you should be wearing hearing protection; I would think the cab negates this need.

I could have easily afforded the cab but I chose not to. I fealt that sort of money may go better towards implements, house payments, college funds, etc. I figure I can take a whole lot of wet, cold, dirt and bugs for $6,000. As a whole, I don't regret my decision yet but I have only had the tractor for a short time. My stance may change after this winter. I'm going to give it a try for a few seasons and then I always have the option of trading towards a cab if I can't do without it. I certainly miss the cab at times but I would also miss the $6,000 at times as well.

JasonMac said:
The only reason I see for not getting one is of course "money" or as of now no chance of having a backhoe.
Agreed. Advantages of a cab far outweigh any disadvantages, besides the money factor.

It's a personal decision that involves a cost vs. benefit analysis. It's your needs, wants & desires vs. your wallet.

Does anyone have any experience with using an iMatch through a Cab window? It seems like you could still access the iMatch handles without much of a problem. Is this the case?

It should also be noted that the Cab model has a higher output alternator (75 vs 40Amps) and the Cab model weighs about 700 lbs more (3570 vs 2900 lbs).

/ 3020 Series Cab - any regrets?
Thanks to all for your insight and opinions. I was convinced that the Cab was the way to go since the primary use would be snow blowing but a couple of weeks ago I borrowed my neighbor's tractor to move a couple of trailers around in the barn and realized how nice it was to have the wind in my face and the sunshine on my back. I guess if the cab gets to be a pain working around the yard I will just have to get that tracked skid steer I'm lusting for.

/ 3020 Series Cab - any regrets? #9  
I don't think anyone would actually regret getting a cab, especially if your primary use for it is snow blowing.

I don't think you will find the cab to be a pain. A tracked skid steer is definitely more of a pain to get in & out of.

Let us know your thoughts after you have used it around the yard.

/ 3020 Series Cab - any regrets? #10  
I considered trading my 4410 for a 3720 cab when they came out till I found out about no BH support. Was hoping they would figure a way out to allow the rear glass to be removed while using a BH. Are there other issues besides the rear glass that cause the BH problem?

Cab is sure nice, but as stated when the weather isn't bad it sure is nice to be out in the fresh air. This is a pressurized cab and the doors are solid and heavy so I assume that is why they didn't design the doors to lift off on nice days. Best of both worlds.

Craig