Tractor Sizing 3035 vs 3616 w/Loader & BH

/ 3035 vs 3616 w/Loader & BH #1  

joeg1981

Tractor
1981 Ford 1900 / 2013 Mahindra 4010 HST
Hi,

Just as many other have, I have been lurking for awhile and reading many past posts. I am aware this is a loaded question, but I thought I would try to get a few opinions before I place the order.

We recently purchased approximately 75 acres of property (70% wooded, 30% prairie / open). Typical rolling midwestern hills with some flat. The property has a couple of creeks passing through, two small ponds, and a lot of gravel driveway. Our plans are to do a lot of cleanup - fallen trees, blocked creeks, drainage issues, clean out ponds, re-grade soil, mow ~6acres routinely, small 1/2 acre garden, etc.

At this time, my dealer has me more or less aligned with a 3616 HST based on my description of usage and his concern that a 3535 is probably too big (wide) to spend much time in the woods or the creeks.

I intend to buy the backhoe attachment, a box blade and of course fill the tires to make sure all of our bases are covered. I already have a Woods 6' finish mower. I just feel like I'm making a risky decision going with the 3616 - and that it will be too small. But of course the 3535 looks too big!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

-Joe

/ 3035 vs 3616 w/Loader & BH #2  
The HST trans in either machine will make both easier to use in close quarters, like out in the woods. I have a 5035, and live in a heavy sugar maple/beech/cherry woods. If you check the specs on both, I believe the hyd pump on the 35 series puts out a couple gallons a minute more than that in the 16 series. I am biased towards bigger/heavier tractors.. because I use the tractor to move stuff, not mow or field work. Just take your time and make the best decision you can. And enjoy your new tractor when you get her home.... :)

/ 3035 vs 3616 w/Loader & BH #3  
I'd go with the bigger one. Overall, I think ultimately that would make you happier. If it will only go so far into the woods, then you can clear out the woods a little, bit by bit, until it goes where you want it. More weight for the BH too.

/ 3035 vs 3616 w/Loader & BH #4  
Another thing. If you do go to the HST in the 35 series, you might want to go to the 4035. Moving that much weight around with the HST trans needs the extra horsepower... if not the 5035. This added cost might push you more towards the 16 series.

/ 3035 vs 3616 w/Loader & BH
Thank you for the feedback so far. I feel like the 3535 + loader & hoe is going to be outside of my budget, but I am going to try to go that route. I also have myself convinced I need the backhoe and do not want to bother renting one instead when needed. That would be a hassle based on where we are located. Hopefully that isn't the wrong assumption because the 3535 with loader only would be something I can swallow easily. I am going today to the dealer to do another round of test drives and I was hoping to make a decision. Ahh!

-Joe

/ 3035 vs 3616 w/Loader & BH #6  
Just try to remember that any decision you make is for the best... and enjoy what ever tractor you decide to go with. Don't try to second guess... for there is no perfect tractor for all situations... :)

Well I spent half a day at the dealer and ended up settling on the 4010 HST... a model I didn't even consider previously. After test driving, I was definitely sold on the hydro and the 3535 just still felt too wide for me. Seems the 4010 is kind of in the middle with everything - weight, loader capacity and price. Fingers crossed I made the right decision. Delivery is scheduled for the 15th. I'll take some pics. I went with a rear scoop, 6' box blade, and 7' sliding blade for implements

Thanks again for the advice.
-Joe

/ 3035 vs 3616 w/Loader & BH #8  
Sounds like a good decision. Good luck, and enjoy it.

/ 3035 vs 3616 w/Loader & BH #9  
Sweet....!!!!!!! [ WHAT, NO $10K backhoe...... [ :) ] ?????? ]

Sweet....!!!!!!! [ WHAT, NO $10K backhoe...... [ :) ] ?????? ]

Well, yeah - that surprised me too! :) The dealer was adamant I try the tractor without the backhoe and make sure it didn't fit my needs before investing in the backhoe. He said that if I really needed one they would help make it as reasonable as they could and close to the cost it would have been from factory. It is a lot of money to spend if it's going to sit around most of the time. I did get a tooth bar for the loader. So, we'll see!