3039R and Z950M vs L4060 and Z781-KWTI-60

/ 3039R and Z950M vs L4060 and Z781-KWTI-60 #11  
I went this afternoon to drive the L4060. The front-end loader had not been installed yet, but it still gave me a feel. it definitely felt heavier and more substantial than the 3039R. I also like the hood better than the Deere. The tractor is better in my opinion. My problem is that I like the sales guy so much more at Deere. He is knowledgeable and is offering a great deal on the Deere.

The Kubota dealer's salesman was not as knowledgeable and basically asked me what I wanted instead of guiding me based on what I was using it for. Today since he was busy when I got there, he had another person help, which was fine. The person helping is the son of the owner, and he couldn't tell me anything about the tractor aside from the fact that none of the small tractors ever come back for repairs since they don't break. Maybe I can deal with all of that for the better tractor, right? After all, their service and parts departments get great reviews. When my salesman gets freed up, we start talking again, and I told him that I think that is the tractor that I want and that I appreciated the great deal he gave me on the zero-turn to make the deal comparable to the JD dealer.

When I got home and checked my emails, he had emailed me to tell me that he gave me the wrong price on the zero-turn and that it was actually $4000 more than what he quoted. I thought the discount was really big, but I figured that was because I was getting a whole package and he was just lumping the discount in one place. This has me concerned with how I will be treated at the dealer after the sale.

Now I am wondering if I should try to negotiate a little more of the JD 4044R and get it because I trust the dealer more. I know that may seem silly, but generally, when I trust my gut, I make the right decision. My gut has been telling me to get the Deere from the time I met the salesman. It's not that he is a super salesman but rather that he is relatable and seemed concerned that I get the right tractor for me. That is part of the reason that I came here to ask because I like the Kubota tractor more, but I like the JD guy a lot more, and more importantly, I feel like I can trust him.
When you take delivery of your tractor your relationship with the sales guy to a large degree ends and you start a new one with either the parts guys or service staff. Focus on the equipment you are buying, not the smooth talker selling it.
I'd never be critical of a salesperson that wanted to know what I wanted to buy as opposed to one that puts his arm around my shoulders and tells me what I should buy or need to buy.

That said, a $4000 error pricing a Z781 is a big deal. MSRP is about $11,200 whatever that means in the real world.

Last edited:
   / 3039R and Z950M vs L4060 and Z781-KWTI-60 #12  
As mentioned not a direct comparison. GLseries is a step up from the 3 series. You need to compare Grand L to 40##R for apples to apples. To some dealer is important, to others not so much. How is the service department at the JD dealership? If it is good as well no reason not to go with the dealer you trust the most. A bad sales transaction would turn me off all the time. Both good machines, but yes I would consider the 4 series Deere. My only gripe about it was the small size of the Cab (I was looking at a 4066R). Compared to others the cab just felt cramped. I’m not huge (6’1”) 190 but it didnt sit well getting in/out. Just make sure it is ok for you if cab is in your future.

Last edited:
   / 3039R and Z950M vs L4060 and Z781-KWTI-60 #13  
You're unlikely to need the dealer for much once you have the machines. They usually don't need repairs or warranty work. I've been back to the dealer once in the four years since I got my Branson, to pick up a backhoe. I buy filters from them, which they ship to me. I do my own routine maintenance. It's not difficult.

If I had a Kubota I'd probably buy filters on line from Messicks.