3040 and Shredder

/ 3040 and Shredder #1  

Woodsman30350

Bronze Member
Tractor
Montana 3040
I just installed a 5' King Kutter shredder purchased from Tractor Supply under their County Line Branding. Tried it for the first time and seemed to work okay but I experienced some vibration at lower speeds. I used the "Independent PTO" setting but I need to know if you actually run up the RPM's to the 540 PTO indicator on the tach. Seems a high rev to me but I am new to this. Is that the actual setting for shredder work?

/ 3040 and Shredder #2  
I just installed a 5' King Kutter shredder purchased from Tractor Supply under their County Line Branding. Tried it for the first time and seemed to work okay but I experienced some vibration at lower speeds. I used the "Independent PTO" setting but I need to know if you actually run up the RPM's to the 540 PTO indicator on the tach. Seems a high rev to me but I am new to this. Is that the actual setting for shredder work?

I most always run my 6' at 540 RPMS. It does seem high at first, I remember that but you get used to it and will find it cuts best at that speed. I have a king kutter that is branded as a Gearmore and the only time it vibrates at a noticible level is when the blades are stuck on the stump jumper, are they rusted maybe?

Out of curiosity are you using ag tires? I didnt think a 5' would cover the tracks on a 3040.

/ 3040 and Shredder
Not using Ag tires. I asked for recommendations on the shredder size on this forum and the concensus was that since the takeoff H.P. is 28, it could not handle a 5 footer. The King Kutter is brand new but has been sitting outside. Probably should oil the blade bolts.

Just to make sure, I run the shredder at the tach position marked by the 540 PTO indicator. Is that right?

/ 3040 and Shredder #4  
Yes sir, run your rpms at the PTO symbol, I find that medium range in third gear is a good speed for me.

/ 3040 and Shredder #5  
My 3040 and 5 ft KK are about 3 years old each, the only thing that I could see giving a vibration is the blade pins. When I engage the blade at slow idle it shakes the tractor something fierce until the blades get flung out to their operating position then everything is fine and I increase the rpms. A couple shots of oil on the blade pins is a must.

I generally run the engine a little below the 540 rpm mark, but that is because most of what I cut is very light and I found it uses a lot less fuel. (and that is where I run it for everything else) But if I get in a low spot with a lot of grass the rpm has to go up to the rmp mark. You have to balance ground speed, blade tip speed, quality of cut, and economy, So my advise is play around until you find what works in your conditions and stay with that.

Gary

/ 3040 and Shredder
Great input folks. Thanks.