3316 Won't Start/Turn Over

/ 3316 Won't Start/Turn Over #1  

OkieDave

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3316HST
I'm having a bit of trouble with my 3316. I have about 90 hours on it, and I suspect the starter has gone out. I've had problems all summer with turning the key and getting a click, but no action; hit it six or eight times and it'll usually turn over, at which point it starts and runs fine. This is typically (though not always) less of a problem on a hot start than a cold start.

Last week, I got a different problem: I didn't even get the click. I heard the fuel pump, and the glow plugs cycled, but no click from the solenoid. Just for grins, I pulled my truck around and used jumper cables to apply power directly to the main lugs on the starter: the motor ran, but I don't think the Bendix engaged, as it was just the motor--it didn't turn the engine.

Thoughts? Do I have a bad starter?

/ 3316 Won't Start/Turn Over
Gah! I've been puzzling over this for a week and a half, and I just had a flash of insight twenty minutes after I posted, at two in the morning:

I'd gotten distracted and forgotten to disengage the PTO last time I used it. Go pull the little yellow lever, tractor go starty!

Shoot me now.