336D engine oil hour change

/ 336D engine oil hour change #1  

yanmars

Platinum Member
Anyone know how many hours between oil changes is suggested for the Yanmar 336d engine?

/ 336D engine oil hour change #2  
3T84 engine series

Due note, when these machines first came out, oil was more 'generic'. Today we have synthetics, blends and a bit more science behind it all. The Shell Rotella T4 10W30 synthetic would allow oil changes in the 300 to 400 hour service range.

1639185246763.png

As for lube the grease fittings, I do this every 100 hours. There are more under the tractor under the open cab that need the lube as well.

The hydraulic oil, I've done it from 300 to 500 hours. This I learned the hard way not to go past 500 hours too far. The old Ford N's just keep going and don't care. The Yanmars will get the filter screen clogged and the machine basically doesn't move for PowerShift, nor the loader, nor the 3PT.

It's been 4 years, bet I have to repack the front bearings. This past summer I did all the trailer axles.

Like most things, the above list is a tight and strict Service Guide. Sure, you could go over a bit, but it depends on how you use the machine and in what type of environment.

Last edited:
   / 336D engine oil hour change
Thanks. While at it would you use green antifreeze or the extended coolant when changed and how many hours?

/ 336D engine oil hour change #4  
Thanks. While at it would you use green antifreeze or the extended coolant when changed and how many hours?

Use the old standby green coolant OR the Prestone OAT formula for ALL vehicles, old and new. Prestone keeps the corrosion inhibitor additives at the old levels for the best protetion.

The Extended Life coolants are engineered with minimal corrosion inhibitor additives. Thus, in our older tractors, using the Extended Life coolants would bring on the internal corrosion and a cooling system pumping brown sludge around.

/ 336D engine oil hour change #5  
Oil change interval: If the tractor is used for mowing, grading etc and its eating a lot of dust then shorter intervals are a good idea, to get rid of particles even though the chemistry of the oil is fine. And most advice is change it annually regardless of hours.

But I've been going 1.5 to 2 years on the YM240 that is now dedicated to the backhoe, because that engine doesn't see any dust or heavy load. Also, Yanmar says you don't need to change the oil filter with every oil change so for the YM240 i wait until at least 50 hours even if that's past 2 years.

In contrast early huge ag tractors, Caterpillar or something, had a brass plate that said must replace the oil daily. 5 gallons. (Because of inadequate dust filtering on a very expensive machine).

Clemsonfor do you ever see loggers dump their tractor oil on the ground for an oil change? I was surprised to see this a couple of times in the Sierras. A big nasty puddle.

/ 336D engine oil hour change #6  
Clemsonfor do you ever see loggers dump their tractor oil on the ground for an oil change? I was surprised to see this a couple of times in the Sierras. A big nasty puddle.

If I recall, oil comes out of the ground. Jed Clampett knows that. ;) He got rich and moved to CALIFORNIA.
1639198764868.png

:ROFLMAO:

1639198649323.png

So sorry, could not let that one pass by. ;)

/ 336D engine oil hour change #7  
Oil change interval: If the tractor is used for mowing, grading etc and its eating a lot of dust then shorter intervals are a good idea, to get rid of particles even though the chemistry of the oil is fine. And most advice is change it annually regardless of hours.

But I've been going 1.5 to 2 years on the YM240 that is now dedicated to the backhoe, because that engine doesn't see any dust or heavy load. Also, Yanmar says you don't need to change the oil filter with every oil change so for the YM240 i wait until at least 50 hours even if that's past 2 years.

In contrast early huge ag tractors, Caterpillar or something, had a brass plate that said must replace the oil daily. 5 gallons. (Because of inadequate dust filtering on a very expensive machine).

Nah, I have been around this for 20 years. And I see timber sales in some pretty rural parts of our state. Now who I work for they probably wouldn't just drop the oil on site, but with that said I don't see it happening in the same period on private land either.

You will see busted hydraulic lines or systems that pump out the entire system or maybe just 5 to 10 gallons but that's in avoidable and kind of just what happens and we make them clean up excess spillage. I may or may not have seen filters burned, oil burned to start fires, and have uncovered "bucket caches" that were buried that were done without anyone knowing. Burying or burning and burying trash is still pretty common, not with the good tier loggers but still happens. The bucket stash I uncovered last year was from about 14 years ago on a sale I did. Was the same primary contractor but different logging sub contractor. That guy is now dead. I ended up picking all the garbage up for my customer including like 20 buckets 1 grease bulk barrel and other stuff. Loggers have a dirty rep....but the newer ones I will say are much cleaner.

Last edited:
   / 336D engine oil hour change #8  
Nah, I have been around this for 20 years. And I see timber sales in some pretty rural parts of our state. Now who I work for they probably wouldn't just drop the oil on site, but with that said I don't see it happening in the same period on private land either.
Loggers ... the newer ones I will say are much cleaner.
That's good to hear.

Long ago orchard pruning burn piles had the farmer's old used tires as the lowest layer, to keep the fire going when there were heavy wet stumps in the pile. The tires would burn - and stink up the neighborhood - for a couple of days.