3910 starter change out help!

/ 3910 starter change out help! #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
I’m trying to change out the starter on my 39 Tian and see there are three mounting bolts. Two are real easy to get to but the one in the rear is unbelievably hard Do you even get anything on it. Has anyone done this and know a way to access this bolt?

/ 3910 starter change out help! #2  
I've done it using a 1/4" drive ratchet, with I think a short and medium length extensions and the socket. It slipped easily behind the starter to reach the bolt.

/ 3910 starter change out help! #3  
I’m trying to change out the starter on my 39 Tian and see there are three mounting bolts. Two are real easy to get to but the one in the rear is unbelievably hard Do you even get anything on it. Has anyone done this and know a way to access this bolt?
Wobble head (or swivel head) socket and some extensions. That pain in the butt bolt is usually the first one I like to tackle taking off and last one going back in on the install. Gearwrench brand wobble heads are a lot nicer priced than Snap-On, but Snap-On has the better engineered heads.

/ 3910 starter change out help! #4  
Wobble head (or swivel head) socket and some extensions. That pain in the butt bolt is usually the first one I like to tackle taking off and last one going back in on the install. Gearwrench brand wobble heads are a lot nicer priced than Snap-On, but Snap-On has the better engineered heads.

Like he said. And it is one miserable, knucking bleeding job. I had a loader frame to work around as well.

/ 3910 starter change out help! #5  
Socket and extension with wobble head and wrap your fingers around the side of it to the bolt to guide the socket.

Just be sure to tape your battery + wire or better yet disconnect it from the battery before you start. You DO NOT want that lead to touch the chassis.

Assuming you have the 5" diameter starter which is for diesels. It will come out without pulling the pump as I recall.....been 30 years since I replaced the one in my 3000. May have to undo the bracket to which the fuel filters are attached. Does take some wiggling. Last thing I wanted to do was to have to pull the pump.

/ 3910 starter change out help! #6  
9/16” 3/8” drive flex socket, 6” extension & ratchet. As stated, get that one first and install last. Absolutely no need to remove the fuel injection pump. Fuel filter removal helps a lot.