3m Respirator filter source needed

/ 3m Respirator filter source needed #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
I've three 3M 6000 series masks that take the 3M bayonet style cartridges and filters. But the prices and combinations of cartridges and filters is confusing and could be needlessly expensive.
What I'd like to get is 12 cartridges (2 sets/mask) and about 50 refills. Usage is sanding for spray painting, spray painting, and sanding drywall mud.
Any recommendations?
Not concerned about filtering for vapors, get LOTS of airflow in shops.

/ 3m Respirator filter source needed #2  
Gemplers carries the 3M 6000 series.

/ 3m Respirator filter source needed #3  
Usage is sanding for spray painting, spray painting, and sanding drywall mud.
Any recommendations?
Not concerned about filtering for vapors, get LOTS of airflow in shops.

This is a little confusing. Are you saying your concern is only with dust? Because painting, even in a spray booth, requires vapor filters for full protection.

If you're only really worried about dust, I would not even use that type of respirator. It's overkill for dust. You would be fine with an N95 dust mask doing drywall work.

N95 dust masks are hard to get right now, with Covid. Because ALL of the production, is going into stock plies. (People who work for a living, and need them to keep from getting lung disease, are just s.o.l.). However, the N95's with an exhale valve is not currently acceptable for Covid, so they are starting to be available on e-bay again. That's what I wear all day for dust. 3M 8511 N95 Face Masks With Valve (1-pack) | eBay

If you are concerned about paint vapors, disposable paint respirators are the standard for body shops now. They are reasonable cost wise, and you don't have to disinfect them. When you reach 40 hours of use, you toss it in the trash. 3M 7193 Large Paint Respirators 12 Masks: Papr Safety Respirators: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
I usually only pay about $18 at the local body shop supply. Prices on all this stuff are up right now due to shortages.

/ 3m Respirator filter source needed #4  
You are talking 2 different needs. I pulled these from 3M's website. Other manufacturers have similar stuff for their masks.

For just dusts/particulates you need a filter. The 3M ones are like these:
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...0267&preselect=8720539+8720550+8726735&rt=rud

But for spraying paint you need a stacked set up with a particulate filter in front of an organic vapor (carbon) cartridge. 3M's set up is like this:
3rd photo from the bottom on page 7
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/565214O/3m-cartridge-filter-guide-and-brochure.pdf

There are many variations on these setups for special needs, but for general industrial or home shop use you describe, those basics cover it all.

As to where to get them, COVID has made supply a mess, as you know. Home Depot and Sherwin Williams stores carry 3M stuff. Not sure if Menards or Lowes does. You can order online from places like Grainger, Lab Safety, MSC, etc. The problem is finding stuff in this pandemic mess.

/ 3m Respirator filter source needed
You are talking 2 different needs. I pulled these from 3M's website. Other manufacturers have similar stuff for their masks.

For just dusts/particulates you need a filter. The 3M ones are like these:
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...0267&preselect=8720539+8720550+8726735&rt=rud

But for spraying paint you need a stacked set up with a particulate filter in front of an organic vapor (carbon) cartridge. 3M's set up is like this:
3rd photo from the bottom on page 7
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/565214O/3m-cartridge-filter-guide-and-brochure.pdf

There are many variations on these setups for special needs, but for general industrial or home shop use you describe, those basics cover it all.

As to where to get them, COVID has made supply a mess, as you know. Home Depot and Sherwin Williams stores carry 3M stuff. Not sure if Menards or Lowes does. You can order online from places like Grainger, Lab Safety, MSC, etc. The problem is finding stuff in this pandemic mess.
Thanks,
Those little filters, https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...0267&preselect=8720539+8720550+8726735&rt=rud, looked like they could get knocked fairly easily. Plus they are like $13/pair on Amazon, or ~ $4/pair if I buy 50 pair.
So after thinking about it I went with a 6 pack of 3M filter holders and a 10 pack of 3M filters, all from the 3M store on Amazon. Reading the Amazon reviews there are a lot of knock offs of questionable quality.

I checked Grainger etc. and they were all a lot more expensive. I suppose that's ok if I made a profit but as an end user consumer I try to stretch the $ until George screams.

/ 3m Respirator filter source needed #6  
All the cartridges and filters are quite secure on their masks. Sure anything is possible but they aren't at any real risk for coming off in regular or even hard use. Same with all other respirator manufacturers. That is a very important safety point that is well tested on respirators. I wouldn't let those concerns color your decision on what to get. Get the correct filters/cartridges for your needs.

/ 3m Respirator filter source needed #7  
I use a 3M mask and use both the 3M 2091 P100 filters, heavy sanding, etc. and use the 3M 60923 cartridges for HVLP spraying of lacquers, etc.

Both are available on Amazon. A little cheaper can be found in bulk at wholesale sites but a quick check of a few, showed they are pretty much sold out.

The 'bayonet' fittings I have found to be a solid connection and never have I had an issue with them becoming dislodged.

/ 3m Respirator filter source needed #8  
   / 3m Respirator filter source needed #10  
A couple useful PDFs from 3M:
General respirator guide (e.g. covers replacement intervals, shelf life, overview of different types, etc)

Where this one helps ID filter type by type of vapor/particle in air to be filtered out:

Both pdfs should also show up when searching "3m filter guide" in a search engine....

The solvents used in the paint, stain, whatever should be identified on the product packaging and a safety data sheet (aka material safety data sheet) can likely be found from the manufacturer's site as most/all materials shipped, handled or otherwise used in industrial processes are required to provide such data (Hazard Communication Standard: Safety Data Sheets - OSHA 3514 | Occupational Safety and Health Administration)

As for where to find the filters (as of typing this) it looks like most major industrial distributors (e.g. Grainger, MSC, McMaster Carr, zoro, Uline, etc.) I checked look to have cartridge filters in stock (at least from what I'm seeing which for all I know may be reflecting a localized/regionalized inventory) ....otherwise searching for the 3M product part number tends to get good results (also a good way to find smaller - or local - industrial suppliers that have an online presence).

Depending on what you're doing and how your spraying is setup, you *may* be able to use one of the 3M particulate filters with nuisance level vapor protection. Personally with the stuff I do the 3M 2097 and 2297 filters work as a solution for a single filter cartridge....