Backhoe 3PH Backhoe Attachment

/ 3PH Backhoe Attachment #1  

JJZ 109

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380/LA344 loader/60" MMM, Bobcat S185 skid steer, JD X394 4 wheel steer mower
Here is the situation:
Around 2 1/2 years ago I was presented with an opportunity to buy a Liberty Industries (made in China) TW04 (made 11/2001) 3PH hoe attachment. Model No. 77. At the time I offered $1500. Offer shot down.
Today, was called and offered same machine. Keep in mind that said machine has sat outside for at least 4 years. Has not moved from original spot. All hoses are weather checked but I can't be sure how much they are worn through.
The 3PH pump does turn by hand, but other than that I have not a clue if the impeller is good enough to pump oil enough to run the thing. Same bucket of hydro lube is still sitting in bucket next to square hydro fluid reservoir as was there almost 3 years ago. The seat still is in better shape than I would have ever thought after these years.
My plan is to offer $750 or $800. If she doesn't accept, then I pass and let it slide. I should also add that this is an old, sorta done divorce deal.
Any thoughts on what it's really worth or what my offer should be?
Thanks much, responders! :)

/ 3PH Backhoe Attachment #2  
The JW/TW series hoes do not have a good rep but for $1500 I would jump on it. They sell for around $3,000 or so around here. The hydro fluid will be fine if in a sealed container. My concern would be the condition of the cylinder rods.

Chris

/ 3PH Backhoe Attachment #3  
Not familiar with the make, but all that sitting time means, "possibly" rotten rubbers, hoses etc and rusty cylinder rams.

Chinese generally means inferior quality materials. Meaning there will be rust so time, effort, money and parts will be required to get it in shape. Go ahead, make the offer,...if she counters at a grand,..I'd take it and get it off the property.

Then go to work, clean it up and get it working nicely,...then "paint-it-up-purty",...and SELL it and buy yourself a "good" one before you break it!!

Good luck to you!
. . tug

PS: as I've said before, I have great respect for the Chinese "people",...but none for their products!

/ 3PH Backhoe Attachment
The JW/TW series hoes do not have a good rep but for $1500 I would jump on it. They sell for around $3,000 or so around here. The hydro fluid will be fine if in a sealed container. My concern would be the condition of the cylinder rods.

Chris

Supposedly this unit was sold to the unhappy couple for $4100 back in '01. I don't really have much need for the attachment at this point in time, but I figured I'd give her a low ball offer just for the heck of it. I just started a seamless gutter business and don't really have the time or energy to mess with this hoe, but of course anything can happen if the price is right. :D
The hydro cylinders don't appear to be rusted and from what I recall are mostly retracted. The flared couplings at the end of the hoses are pretty rusty though.

/ 3PH Backhoe Attachment #5  
Buy a big bottle of asprin because these backhoes are alot of trouble and headaches,you cannot get hoses local nobody has the fittings,seal kits for the cylinders almost impossible to get,valve problems,the list goes on.If you need a backhoe get a better quality Korean unit. I bought several of these years ago and each one had problems,just my 2-cents

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
"Your Jinma Parts Superstore"
Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company

/ 3PH Backhoe Attachment
Buy a big bottle of asprin because these backhoes are alot of trouble and headaches,you cannot get hoses local nobody has the fittings,seal kits for the cylinders almost impossible to get,valve problems,the list goes on.If you need a backhoe get a better quality Korean unit. I bought several of these years ago and each one had problems,just my 2-cents

Tommy

Thanks Tommy. Your post gives me reason to just make her a low ball, BS offer. If she takes it, fine. If not, then it sits where it has for the last 4 years and I go on about my business. (and now I can say that I spoke to a dealer and not be fibbing to her!)
As I said, I don't have a real need for the attachment at this point in time. The woman just approached me yesterday, a couple of years after my initial original offer. So I'm thinking she'll let it go cheap just to get rid of it or to spite her ex. :D

/ 3PH Backhoe Attachment #7  
$500.00 tops, These hoes are a headache{owned the jw3}. If it does need hoses you'll have fun finding them. If the cylinder rods are rusted another pain. I would also be willing to bet the little o-ring seals are shot. You can get the seals but there are a lot of them to replace. You can also get a replacement pump for around $200.00{same style}, IMO junk. Don't forget blocked zerk fittings also. One of machinery's worse enemy's is sitting time. Seems that ole mother nature and father time gang up on machines that are ignored and tear them apart.

/ 3PH Backhoe Attachment
I'm thinking of settling in the lower middle, between 20/20's $500 estimate and Diamondpilot's $1500. I'll offer $700/$750 take it or leave it.
Will post later and let you all know the outcome. Thanks for all of the input.

/ 3PH Backhoe Attachment #9  
Heck I would buy it sight unseen for $750. You could always flip it and sell it on CL or EBAY.

Chris

/ 3PH Backhoe Attachment #10  
I would throw her a low offer and be up front about the hoe's quality. Tactfully explain that the hydraulics were junk when new and go down hill from there. It's sat outside forever, the cylinders, hoses, valve and maybe pump have to be replaced. I would purchase it with the intentions of replacing/fixing everything too, otherwise you are going to own a giant headache and souce of frustration. The TBN'ers have made me quite a fan of Surplus Center and their cylinders are very reasonable. If it were mine, I'd start searching/watching Ebay for a valve, I've bought a lot of my hydraulics off Ebay and with a little patience gotten everything for a fraction of what they were worth, including shipping ( NIB $750 valve for $150, New $300 cylinders for $60, etc). I'd plan on rebuilding the pump. If I could get it for $750 or less I would buy it in a heartbeat, put a little money in it and have a decent, dependable, like-new hoe for less than half the cost of new one.