3PH Diverter valve leaking

/ 3PH Diverter valve leaking #11  
Nice! That and a pressure gauge on the output side of the pump could prove useful in troubleshooting.
With that gauge, if it goes into by-pass mode, how do you tell ?
I've thought about replacing the pickup screen system with a suction filter setup but have never pursued the "engineering" of it.
Different adapters at both ends and hoses and brackets in between. Maybe next week in my spare time...

/ 3PH Diverter valve leaking #12  
Nice! That and a pressure gauge on the output side of the pump could prove useful in troubleshooting.
With that gauge, if it goes into by-pass mode, how do you tell ?
I've thought about replacing the pickup screen system with a suction filter setup but have never pursued the "engineering" of it.
Different adapters at both ends and hoses and brackets in between. Maybe next week in my spare time...
Good question. The vacuum gauge is for filter heads that don't have a built-in by-pass (you can tell by looking into the outlet port). A filter head with a 5 psig Δ built-in by-pass equals around 10 inches Hg, which at that point wouldn't raise the needle any higher. Guess I forgot to mention that. Sorry.
Conversely, you would use a pressure gauge on a return line filter.

1621987659269.png

/ 3PH Diverter valve leaking #13  
I have seen pressure gauges on either side of a valve or tool so you could monitor the pressure drop. Of course that meant that the operator had to be schooled in interpreting (and monitoring) the system. It also meant the operator had to have a better understanding of a system than "green good, red bad". Geez Bob, I must be getting old...

I suppose you could put a vacuum gauge on both sides of the filter (with no bypass) and get the same info.

/ 3PH Diverter valve leaking #14  
I have seen pressure gauges on either side of a valve or tool so you could monitor the pressure drop. Of course that meant that the operator had to be schooled in interpreting (and monitoring) the system. It also meant the operator had to have a better understanding of a system than "green good, red bad". Geez Bob, I must be getting old...

I suppose you could put a vacuum gauge on both sides of the filter (with no bypass) and get the same info.
I remember Cat and others used to have a lot of "green/good, red/bad" gauges, which are ok for a cursory glance, but you can't use them for diagnostics or logging data.
Two vacuum gauges on a suction filter would be redundant because one would always read zero (atmospheric).
Getting old is fun - you get to talk about all the stuff you used to do without getting dirty or wet, and bleeding. Ha!