3pt hitch - adjustable side link use & does anyone ever add a second adjustable?

/ 3pt hitch - adjustable side link use & does anyone ever add a second adjustable? #1  

rossn

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1705
On my tractor, I have one adjustable link that attaches to the right lower arm. I think this is called the side link, or the lift arm leveler.

Do I understand correctly that this is primarily used for tilting an attachment to the left or right?

With a small tractor, I'm also thinking about how I can adjust for implements (i.e. subsoiler) that can't be lifted high enough, or drop low enough. Does anyone ever replace the fixed left link with a second adjustable side link, for the sake of lowering or raising the lift range of the hitch?

/ 3pt hitch - adjustable side link use & does anyone ever add a second adjustable? #2  
Re: 3pt hitch - adjustable side link use & does anyone ever add a second adjustable?

I've never heard of nor done that. But I see no reason not to if you are needing additional adjustment that your particular machine isn't providing.
For adjustment purposes remember the 3 PT doesn't have down pressure.

/ 3pt hitch - adjustable side link use & does anyone ever add a second adjustable? #3  
Re: 3pt hitch - adjustable side link use & does anyone ever add a second adjustable?

Both my old tractor and new one (big agricultural tractors) have both side links that can be adjusted.

There is no problem replacing the one you have with a similar to the one that you have on the other side, granted you need to get one that is just as strong.

On a side note, if you're adjusting them often and need more adjust-ability, look into making them hydraulic. More expensive set up but it may only be a bit more compared to getting an OEM side link.
(Assuming you have a hydraulic exit, you would neee the two hoses, 4 connectors and 1 cylinder)

/ 3pt hitch - adjustable side link use & does anyone ever add a second adjustable? #4  

If you need to raise higher, sometimes there are multiple mounting holes where the sidelines attach to the lower arm.

/ 3pt hitch - adjustable side link use & does anyone ever add a second adjustable? #5  

On my tractor, I have one adjustable link that attaches to the right lower arm. I think this is called the side link, or the lift arm leveler.

This arrangement is Three Point Hitch industry standard.

The correct nomenclature is RIGHT LIFTING ROD. The lower arm is correctly a LOWER LINK, less correctly DRAFT LINK.

Do I understand correctly that this is primarily used for tilting an attachment to the left or right?

Adjustable Lifting Rod's purpose is to level implements, left to right, not tilt them.

If you attempt to tilt, imparting different stresses to the right and left Lifting Rods, one will bend or break. Lifting Rods are engineered to share implement loads equally.

Larger tractors, selling at higher prices, have additional Three Point Hitch adjustments for tilt while Lifting Rods are equally extended, and lift height.

With a small tractor, I'm also thinking about how I can adjust for implements (i.e. subsoiler) that can't be lifted high enough, or drop low enough.

Your tractor is a sub-compact with less than 7" of ground clearance. I do not know of any factory subsoiler that will lift and subsoil as you wish on a tractor with less than 7" ground clearance. (Note: This dimension is an "outlier" in subcompact tractor dimensions.)

King Kutter produces a "red" combo Middlebuster and Subsoiler for subcompacts but I would inquire directly of King Kutter if it will work with your tractor, as it is designed around tractors with 9" ground clearance.
LINK: KK Middle Buster

Unfortunately the are limitations that come with sub-compact tractor ownership.

Last edited:
   / 3pt hitch - adjustable side link use & does anyone ever add a second adjustable? #6  

That's the inherent problem with a small tractor.....my 2400, case in point. No reason you can't do what you want there. Just test the full range carefully before you hook up and go with anything.

/ 3pt hitch - adjustable side link use & does anyone ever add a second adjustable? #7  

Here is an example of using the 3PH arms NOT leveled (at about 5:15): Tractor and Skid Steer Attachment Videos

It might be handy for creating a crown on a dirt road or laneway. I have heard of some folks adding hydraulic top and tilt and putting the tilt cylinder on the side oposite the existing leveler, so (in a pinch) they'd have even greater range of tilt (ie, by adjusting both in opposited directions, one all-in and one all-out).

I suspect Jeff9366 is correct that this puts stress on the lift arms. A bit of tilt for crowning a driveway might be OK, but, the more extreme the tilt adjustment (like the ditching example in the video), the more extreme this stress would be.

/ 3pt hitch - adjustable side link use & does anyone ever add a second adjustable? #8  

Tim's 1025 has a similar problem, he used the heavy hitch subsoiler, he got 14-18 inches out of it, if memory serves. It has an adjustable shank, so you can go as shallow as you need to.

Video:

/ 3pt hitch - adjustable side link use & does anyone ever add a second adjustable? #9  

I use the tilt adjustment link to make connecting and disconnecting implements easier. Many times when hooking implements up, one arm or the other gets in the way from lining up perfectly. To eliminate this issue, I'll wind the tilt adjustment out so the adjustable side hangs lower than the stationary link. This keeps it 'out of the way' while I back up to the implement lining up the stationary link. Once it is connected, I'll go to the other side and turn the tilt adjustment to raise the other arm up to the level of the pin so it easily slides on.

When taking off an implement, many times once you slide the arm off the pin, it wants to swing back and catch on the pin. I'll take off the adjustable side first, winding the adjustment out so it can't catch on the pin while I go get the other side off.

This old Ford video shows the process in action (I tried to link it in at the appropriate time within the video, but it didn't take. Advance to 1m49s into the video to see):

/ 3pt hitch - adjustable side link use & does anyone ever add a second adjustable? #10  

With a small tractor, I'm also thinking about how I can adjust for implements (i.e. subsoiler) that can't be lifted high enough, or drop low enough. Does anyone ever replace the fixed left link with a second adjustable side link, for the sake of lowering or raising the lift range of the hitch?

One of the short comings of the small tractors and hitch is the physical length of the lifting rods. Not much length to work with. What you can do is measure the retracted length and the extended length pin to pin and ask Brian at Fitritehydraulics.com if he can do anything with it. You need enough length to make it practical to spend the money on it.

As an example, I can use a King Kutter middle buster on my garden tractor but the sub soil plow is too long. I can't raise it high enough to hook to the hitch. Your 1705 may have longer lower links and you need to measure to see what the lowered and raised dimensions are on your tractor. Keep that handy when shopping for implements.

When all is said and done I am doubtful that your 1705 can pull a sub soil plow at full depth anyway. It would depend on your soil conditions. Sub soil plows make good parking brakes.