3pt hitch mulcher

/ 3pt hitch mulcher #1  

musselmark

Silver Member
Tractor
'05 NH TN75DA
How effective would this be on a TN75 4x4 tractor. I have 5 acres of spruce branches and stumps to deal with after having it clear cut.

/ 3pt hitch mulcher #2  
Can you go slow enough in reverse to use it?

Per tractor data only two of the TN75 four transmission options go less than 1.5 MPH the Synchro Command Plus and dual command.

/ 3pt hitch mulcher
16 forward and 16 reverse speeds. It will go very very slow, mine is a 2005 TN75 DA, "16-speed partially synchronized with power shuttle"

/ 3pt hitch mulcher #4  
Haven't used one, but my impression is that a HST transmission is preferred in order to be able to slow down to whatever is needed depending on what has to be mulched. The thickness of the material could vary enough that a fixed ground speed might be difficult to maintain.

I think the skid steer versions only mulch a few inches into the ground and can't get to the roots if that matters to you like for future plowing?

/ 3pt hitch mulcher #5  
16 forward and 16 reverse speeds. It will go very very slow, mine is a 2005 TN75 DA, "16-speed partially synchronized with power shuttle"
With that having .4 MPH and the power shuttle meaning you have a wet/hydraulic clutch, so damaging the clutch shouldn’t be an issue.

/ 3pt hitch mulcher #6  
Haven't used one, but my impression is that a HST transmission is preferred in order to be able to slow down to whatever is needed depending on what has to be mulched. The thickness of the material could vary enough that a fixed ground speed might be difficult to maintain.

I think the skid steer versions only mulch a few inches into the ground and can't get to the roots if that matters to you like for future plowing?
That mulcher has a 70HP minimum.

Not sure there are any 70 HP hydro transmission tractors anymore since IHC went out of business.

/ 3pt hitch mulcher #7  
16 forward and 16 reverse speeds. It will go very very slow, mine is a 2005 TN75 DA, "16-speed partially synchronized with power shuttle.
Well, you've got a nice tractor and the right transmission to run it. I wish I could say something constructive, but I've never run one of those or even seen one in use.

Questions I'd have is what is your ground like for rocks, and are they talking tractor HP or PTO hp?
And how are you going to deal with spruce stumps over 7"? Most of our spruce stumps here are much larger than that.

What are the other options? Rent an excavator or dozer? Forestry crew? How would any of those compare pricewise for 5 acres?

And what do you do with that implement when the job is done? It's not handy for much else.

rScotty

/ 3pt hitch mulcher
I could hire someone to mulch it but they charge 500+ an hour. 2 days would pay to buy the mulcher. Yes most stumps are bigger than 7", more like 12-15. I can rent a D4 for 2 grand per week or a wheeled loader with root rake.

/ 3pt hitch mulcher #9  
12-15" seems like a lot for a 55" wide mulcher especially if you run into more than one at once and something more like a stump grinder that only deals with one stump at a time would be less likely to damage your tractor.

/ 3pt hitch mulcher #10  
12-15" seems like a lot for a 55" wide mulcher especially if you run into more than one at once and something more like a stump grinder that only deals with one stump at a time would be less likely to damage your tractor.
That's what I was thinking. It seems like there are two jobs here. One is branches and needles; the other is big stumps. There are ways to deal with either, but I doubt if one tool will do both.

But back up a minute...what size chips does that TMG leave? Is it adjustable for fineness?

Calling somethng "mulch" doesn't make it fertile. This is conifer chipping. The chips are going to be there for a long, log time. I've got conifer chip piles that are now 8 years old & still sterile. How are you going to deal with the chip piles? You can leave it on the ground of course, but it takes years before anything will grow in a an area covered with an inch of chipped pine/fir/spruce needles & branches. The chips have to be raked and removed it you are wanting to plant the ground...so you still end up with a pile of chips.

A common solution is to grapple/rake the branches into a pile before chipping them. A pile of chips is much easier to deal with chips distributed over several acres

Getting rid of conifer chips is a huge problem for Forest Services and fire mitigation projects. Conifer chips aren't very useful or desireable. At least not yet. Nice opportunity for some creative person, though. You may want to do some research on conifer chip piles.

rScotty