3-Point Hitch 3pt hitch side sway damaging tires

/ 3pt hitch side sway damaging tires #11  
Agreed, it shouldn't be happening. I like a little slack in my 3-point, but whatever works for you.

/ 3pt hitch side sway damaging tires #12  
Thanks for the replies. I think the turn buckles are all the way down. I'll check tonight. Now that I know it shouldn't happen I'll spend more time trying to figure out why it's happening.

It isn't clear to me what you mean by "all the way down".
???

You SHOULD be able to;
a) lift the implement off the ground with the 3 pt hitch, so that it is free to move side to side.
b) tighten the turnbuckle on the side that the implement is farthest from, i.e. pull it across towards center.
c) check by hand to see if there is still side play, my preference is "an inch or so" when raised, knowing that some implements will take that slack up as they engage into the ground.
d) check for center.
e) check for binding as you lower the 3 pt.

If all that checks be SURE to tighten the turnbuckle lock nuts so that it doesn't shift when you start to use it.

If you still get tire interference you MIGHT need to adjust your tire spacing.
I don't know exactly how to do this on your particular tractor, e.g. some small tractorlettes do not have rims that are separable from the wheel centers, so swapping rear wheels side to side while keeping their direction the same is the only way to adjust rear wheel spacing.
You finish up with the valve stems on the inside, basically you move the offset from "in" to "out".

EDIT;
Just thinking about this again, PERHAPS "all the way down" means you can't tighten them farther because the lock nuts need to be backed away ?
OK, maybe I'm trying to read too much into your wording (-:
Point is, you sometimes need to back those lock nuts off, like WAY OFF, so you can tighten the turnbuckles enough to take out the side to side slack.
Clearer, or muddier ? (-:
END EDIT

Last edited:
   / 3pt hitch side sway damaging tires #13  
This happened to me when I first got my tractor.

Your sway bars (that's what I call them) need to be tightened up some, leaving just an inch or 2 for sway.

There is a sway bar on each side of your 3pt hitch. Loosen them when putting an attachment on, then, adjust them to minmize the sway of the attachment.

/ 3pt hitch side sway damaging tires #14  
Add a set of "PAT'S" quick change to your TPH arms. That will move the box blade back about 3".

/ 3pt hitch side sway damaging tires #15  
They must be building them with real short lift arms these days. It's literally impossible to get the box blade anywhere near the rear tires on my 26 yr-old Ford. The arms can rub if I spread them enough, but not the implement.

Joe