3pt or Stand Alone Splitter

/ 3pt or Stand Alone Splitter #51  
I had to get a new splitter last year and decided on a 3PT simply because I didn't want another small engine to maintain. I ordered a BOSS 22 ton through Lowes. It can go horizontal or vertical and has an auto return on the ram. Website said it came with 1/2" NPT thread hose, but they weren't NPT. I've got it setup so I unplug the FEL and then plug the splitter in. That way the fluid flows freely to the splitter decreasing the heat buildup.

I typically drag the logs to a central area, cut them and then split. If I take the splitter to the tree, then I load directly into the UTV.

On another note, I added a lift and electric winch to lift the rounds up. And I have a second tractor that I use to drag logs with.

But as others have said, your tractor's flow rate will determine if you can use a 3PH hydraulic splitter. Mine has 8 GPM. Not super fast, but fast enough for me.
IMG_20210303_093139_7.jpg

IMG_20210120_083846_4.jpg

/ 3pt or Stand Alone Splitter #52  
It's just so easy to lift them with the pallet forks over a trailer/wagon/table or ?, and cut them right there,

Resized-20200312-153337-7562-S.jpg

then move the splitter into position and split right off the trailer deck, easily rolling the bigger ones right onto the splitters beam,

Resized-20200312-145016-1705-S.jpg

Resized-20200325-134227-2354-S.jpg

It's much easier, WAAAAAY less handling of splits, and you don't need two tractors ect...

SR

/ 3pt or Stand Alone Splitter #53  
Folks - Looking for hands on experience with 3pt splitters
Weighing the benefits of one less engine to maintain, cost comparisons, etc. What experience can you share?
An option I considered is workflow. If I have a standalone splitter - I can cut, chip, and split in series instead of swapping out machines.

Have you found the 3pt which is about the same money as a stand alone to be a better choice?
i was looking at a northern tool 3pt (item# 11965) for $779,but it is no longer available.
The units below range from $950-$1,200 with 16-20 ton psi.

I am running a MF GC2310. My two other attachments are a backhoe and a chipper. My need for splitting is small 1-2 cords a year for the firepit and homestead cleanup (2 1/2 acres).

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

PJ

I haven't looked through all of the comments, but they main thing that made the decision for me was something someone posted a few years ago. Running your (expensive) tractor to split logs puts hours on a very expensive tractor motor and hydraulics. If you run a stand alone you are putting hours on an engine that costs a couple of hundred dollars. This made a lot of sense to me as well as being able to move the wood around before and after it's split.

/ 3pt or Stand Alone Splitter #54  
cept tractors are designed for many 1,000s of hours with proper maintenance. running a splitter for a few hours a year is nothing. i worked on a farm that hooked a belt drive to an older diesel tractor to power a well pump. it ran for days. that tractor has done this for many, many years.

/ 3pt or Stand Alone Splitter #55  
I prefer a stand alone for the plane and simple reason I may want to use my tractor for something else while splitting wood.

/ 3pt or Stand Alone Splitter #56  
While I’m splitting wood........I’m too busy and only one dimensional, so I find it hard to do other work with tractor. :LOL:
just pulling your chain.

/ 3pt or Stand Alone Splitter #57  
I went for the stand-alone splitter. I think it also depends on how you split. I take my splitter to the site vs. dragging the large pieces back to a splitting area. This lets me vertically split the massive pieces into more manageable pieces. I am trying to find ways to touch the wood less. I went from unhooking the splitter and transporting in the dump bed of an RTV and stacking at the house to now dropping off some IBC totes and bringing the wood back stacked and ready to store. Transport is slower, but there are less trips so it kind of depends on how much wood is involved. The speed of the split was never my concern as I don't do that much. With the stand-alone I can use either method just fine. There isn't that much maintenance on the engine in my mind at least.

/ 3pt or Stand Alone Splitter #58  
Splitting into my half cord boxes, saves a lot of handling of splits,

Resized-20200428-133341-705-S.jpg

Then being able to move that box/splits, with a tractor is another back saver!

SR

/ 3pt or Stand Alone Splitter #59  
I heave a stand alone splitter and am quite happy with it's fast cycle time and vert/*** splitting.
Use the tractor to move wood to splitter from pile and move split wood to storage.
I could use my lawn tractor to move the wood (only other device I have with dump capability) and the tractor to split, but I don't see an advantage.
One more motor is work, but frees my tractor to be active during splitting and moving.

/ 3pt or Stand Alone Splitter #60  
I don't agree. I use a three point splitter and wouldn't even consider a standalone, just like I use a PTO generator to run the house when the lights go off. Not having to deal with another small engine is important. The splitter (likewise generator) can sit a year in the shed and requires NO attention. I use the the bucket to move wood just fine when the splitter is mounted. It's a great counterbalance to loaded front forklifts. So if you have the hydraulics already installed like I do to run my hydraulic toplink (which I also heartily recommend), a three point splitter is a no brainer.