3pt or Stand Alone Splitter

/ 3pt or Stand Alone Splitter #41  
Folks - Looking for hands on experience with 3pt splitters
Weighing the benefits of one less engine to maintain, cost comparisons, etc. What experience can you share?
An option I considered is workflow. If I have a standalone splitter - I can cut, chip, and split in series instead of swapping out machines.

Have you found the 3pt which is about the same money as a stand alone to be a better choice?
i was looking at a northern tool 3pt (item# 11965) for $779,but it is no longer available.
The units below range from $950-$1,200 with 16-20 ton psi.

I am running a MF GC2310. My two other attachments are a backhoe and a chipper. My need for splitting is small 1-2 cords a year for the firepit and homestead cleanup (2 1/2 acres).

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

PJ

I went with the 3pt splitter for the same reason you mentioned. One less engine to maintain. I made a replacement bracket do it attaches up front on my FEL. I learned that it is so much nicer to have my tractor at a nice quiet idle as I split rather then listen to small gas engine screaming away. Have looked at Tractor Supply Company 3pt splitter? It's made by Speeco but it carries the CountyLine name. That's the one I have. SpeeCo Products like it a lot. Just realized that's the splitter in my avatar picture

Last edited:
   / 3pt or Stand Alone Splitter #42  
I have a 3pt spliter & have been using it for 20+ years & it's a Northern 25 ton & they don't make this model any more & I'll have to replace the lines on it this year ,which is no problem I can get them made at NAPA ,As You mentioned I was the same way 1 less small engine to maintain! I use it on the older 59 M-F 50 & the flow rate is much slower on a older tractor , But it gets the job done & I've done oak almost 3 feet in circumference easily & without it hanging up But as some others have posted they are a handful to switch in out if you have need for the tractor to do other work & if You decide to go with 3pt splitter go with one that can go horizontal or vertical, I leave mine in the vertical position that way I just roll the wood over to split & I'm not lifting & in 2018 I bought a new tractor a M-F 1526 ,So now I can keep my 50 dedicated to spiting wood & my other tractor for other chores . & I would go the same route again.
IMG_20201211_155854.jpg
(y)
IMG_20201211_155800.jpg

Last edited:
   / 3pt or Stand Alone Splitter #43  
Contrary to many I'm 100% in favor of the 3 pt. I've attached castors to the splitters legs and roll it flush up against my garage wall for storage. I split about 2 cords/year and do it all in one day so tying up my tractor is not an issue. I purchased it at Tractor Supply on sale for > $700 and have used it on various tractors from 24 to 35 HP with no issue. The ease of storage, lack of an additional motor to service, and convenience and power of the 3 point attachment cannot be beat IMHO. Quick connect hydraulic couplers makes hookups easy.

Attachments

• Splitter 01.jpg
    Splitter 01.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Splitter 02.JPG
    Splitter 02.JPG
    579.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Splitter 03.JPG
    Splitter 03.JPG
    561 KB · Views: 66
  • Splitter 04.JPG
    Splitter 04.JPG
    686.3 KB · Views: 73
   / 3pt or Stand Alone Splitter #44  
I have a stand alone 20 ton splitter that pull behind my RTV when needed. I like the convenience of not having to get the tractor out and hook up a 3 point implement... Back the RTV up, drop the hitch, load my gear in the back and head to the wood pile... I use mine several times a year and put Stabil in the fuel, in 20 years never had a problem with it.

/ 3pt or Stand Alone Splitter #45  
Folks - Looking for hands on experience with 3pt splitters
Weighing the benefits of one less engine to maintain, cost comparisons, etc. What experience can you share?
An option I considered is workflow. If I have a standalone splitter - I can cut, chip, and split in series instead of swapping out machines.

Have you found the 3pt which is about the same money as a stand alone to be a better choice?
i was looking at a northern tool 3pt (item# 11965) for $779,but it is no longer available.
The units below range from $950-$1,200 with 16-20 ton psi.

I am running a MF GC2310. My two other attachments are a backhoe and a chipper. My need for splitting is small 1-2 cords a year for the firepit and homestead cleanup (2 1/2 acres).

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

PJ

I see one of the posts below says your flow is not sufficient for travel speed, so it looks like you have no option, really. But, an issue I did not see really addressed is working height. I have used a home made 3 pt splitter for about 40 years and it still works great. I only bend down to pick up pieces off the ground and lift them to the I beam. Anything too heavy to lift I split in half with a maul or maul and wedge. But I am working at waist height most of the time, wihile doing the actual splitting. And it may be a bit too slow, but only for about the first 5 minutes, then the speed is just right after I get a bit winded.

Those independent splitters are so low to the ground that I could not use one unless I went down on my knees. Granted, I am probably older than you and my knees are shot. But - if you do buy a stand alone splitter, consider modifying it so you can life it with your 3 pt if you want.

Tim

/ 3pt or Stand Alone Splitter #46  
They make taller splitters. Mine's got 12" road wheels and it's at a good working height for me at 6' tall.

Rounds that are too large to lift I "noodle" (cut along the grain) with the saw and finish with a splitting maul. Noodling is the fastest cutting direction. It's a lot faster than splitting them just with the maul.

/ 3pt or Stand Alone Splitter
@Syncro - I like the Country Line you show in your pics. I am not sure that TS sells it anymore - didn't see it on their website

@IH2424 - great point on the flow rate. I will have to check my owners manual - pretty sure my GC2310 is 4.1

/ 3pt or Stand Alone Splitter #48  
If you don't need the wood for domestic heating , only for a fire pit or clean up cut your rounds shorter why spend money on a 3pl log splitter spend the money on a 4 in 1 bucket that way you can grab and hold your logs or branches at a comfortable safe work height and cut shorter lengths for your fire pit it would be faster as well as less handling not to mention far less stress on your back. you will find a 4 in 1 bucket will be a far better investment with year round uses.
AND pallet forks works even better, especially with a matching grapple!

Plus they cost a lot less and are a lot lighter, meaning you can lift heavier logs.

SR

/ 3pt or Stand Alone Splitter #49  
Stand alone. Here are a few pictures of my wood processing set up. Average about 6 face cords per year.
247EA28C-2782-4EA3-A936-39A5B79546A4.jpeg

Attachments

• CD7757A6-E8F2-4AC0-B9BC-B859FD4E79FD.jpeg
    CD7757A6-E8F2-4AC0-B9BC-B859FD4E79FD.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 67
  • 87934FB1-3E7F-4859-AB2A-88C667C3B027.jpeg
    87934FB1-3E7F-4859-AB2A-88C667C3B027.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 60
   / 3pt or Stand Alone Splitter #50  
Vertical is the way go!Control on 3pt splitter is about 4feet high & once the wood is in place boom that's it f... a maul that's why I got a splitter in the 1st place & I only got bend my knees to pickup split wood, Or reposition a big piece after it's been split (y) & if you wanted to pull up a chair & split wood you could,Until the next piece.:unsure: I meant no offence to anyone , If any was taken.
IMG_20201211_155913.jpg