3rd function use in 2 places

/ 3rd function use in 2 places #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
Thinking about getting a grapple, which requires some hydraulic lines and connections up front.

Wondering whether a tee could be put in the lines for the valve/buttons to work a hydraulic top link when grapple not needed.

/ 3rd function use in 2 places #2  
It could but you will need to disconnect the grapple or the Top Link to make the other work correctly. Otherwise, both will try to move, path of least resistance will move.

Now going from 1 spool to 2 spools is not much extra cost... Like these: one spool= $112 vs. 2 spool= $177

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra...ool-8-GPM-Prince-MB11B5C1-DA-Valve-9-7861.axd

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra...ol-8-GPM-Prince-MB21BB5C1-DA-Valve-9-7862.axd

It used to be that the 3 spool was only a little bit more but now it's over $100 for 3...

Last edited:
   / 3rd function use in 2 places #3  
Ideally what you want for the grapple is a 3rd function or diverter with buttons on the joystick and quick connects out on the loader. And for the top link you need a rear remote with a lever in the operator's station.

You can make do with a remote for the 3rd function and hydraulic hoses run up to the loader but it's not as good as you need to move your hand from the loader joystick to the remote lever and back a lot. That you can do with a single set of valves which you mount on the fender. If you are going to the trouble to mount remotes you might as well put in extra spools even if you're not going to run the grapple off one.

You could tee the output of a 3rd function but if you have both grapple and top link plugged in at the same time the results when you operate the controls would be unpredictable. When you have two loads teed together then the one with the least resistance moves first.

/ 3rd function use in 2 places #4  
A three way ball valve would allow you to pick which item has hydraulics

/ 3rd function use in 2 places #8  
A three way ball valve would allow you to pick which item has hydraulics
Will doing that require two three way ball valves, one for each side of the hydraulics. Want to this on my tractor so I can operate the tilt and trim on my box blade from my rear remote.

/ 3rd function use in 2 places #9  
Will doing that require two three way ball valves, one for each side of the hydraulics. Want to this on my tractor so I can operate the tilt and trim on my box blade from my rear remote.
Yes, or you can use a double selector valve which will switch both ports at once.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using TractorByNet mobile app

/ 3rd function use in 2 places #10  
Ideally what you want for the grapple is a 3rd function or diverter with buttons on the joystick and quick connects out on the loader.
My $.02 is that a 3rd function is not an ideal solution for a grapple. The problem, at least for me, is the third function has no practical way to moderate the speed and force of the hydraulics that open and close the grapple. I had one installed on the last tractor I bought , used it for a day or two, added a flow limit valve which did not work, and went back to using the rear remote to operate the grapple so I could control it through the use of a real valve.

For the same money I could have added at least one, and maybe two, more remotes.

Yes you take your hand off of the loader valve. So what? On my tractor they are located adjacent to each other and it has no real effect for me.

As I said just my $.02.