3x20 & 4x20 owners - What do you have the dealer do??

/ 3x20 & 4x20 owners - What do you have the dealer do?? #1  

jgrreed

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4720
Hi Guys,

I'm going to take my machine into a dealership in the spring. It'll have about 450 hours on it by that time.

I was just wondering what maintenance you all have done on your own at home vs. what you paid the JD dealer to do??

I'm OK with fluids, filters, etc. It's belts, etc that I'm unsure about.

-Jer.

/ 3x20 & 4x20 owners - What do you have the dealer do?? #2  
I do all my own maintainance. Belts, hyd lines, oil, filters, all fluid changes, lights, fuses. Obvious warranty issues - I defer to the dealer. I have a 110 (which likely shares alot of pieces and parts found on a 4000 series...)

AKfish

/ 3x20 & 4x20 owners - What do you have the dealer do?? #3  
JD will do whatever you want, just charge you for it. I do my own fluids/filters. I would just have them do the basic maintenance - oil/filters. Your tractor is relatively new, I wouldn't worry about anything else unless you have some warranty issues or other repairs you want fixed. The belts and hoses should be in good shape with 450 hours. The HST filter is about $90and expect 4-5 gallons to replace the HST fluid-Low viscosity HY-GARD.
Check/replace or clean the air filter if needed.

/ 3x20 & 4x20 owners - What do you have the dealer do?? #4  
Do it yourself, buy genuine JD Filters, Oil, Belts, Parts, etc... and dont worry about it.
If your worried about doing the belts, etc.. buy the service manual while you're there. As long as you can read you can pretty much do anything you might need to with that manual.

/ 3x20 & 4x20 owners - What do you have the dealer do??
Do it yourself, buy genuine JD Filters, Oil, Belts, Parts, etc... and dont worry about it.
If your worried about doing the belts, etc.. buy the service manual while you're there. As long as you can read you can pretty much do anything you might need to with that manual.

But Dave, I can't read either......

You're probably right. I should just suck it up, get dirty, and do it myself.

-Jer.

/ 3x20 & 4x20 owners - What do you have the dealer do?? #6  
But Dave, I can't read either......

You're probably right. I should just suck it up, get dirty, and do it myself.

-Jer.

Well, I cant help with that:D

LOL...seriously, I'd rather work on my tractor then my truck..
Just dont attempt to install a rear wiper kit if you got a cabbed machine...then it would be WAYYY cheaper to just have the dealer pick it up and do it :rolleyes: Sometimes the simplest & stupidest things get you...

/ 3x20 & 4x20 owners - What do you have the dealer do?? #7  

Same here, tractors are a lot more owner maintenance-friendly than cars and trucks.

Well, I cant help with that:D

Just dont attempt to install a rear wiper kit if you got a cabbed machine...then it would be WAYYY cheaper to just have the dealer pick it up and do it :rolleyes: Sometimes the simplest & stupidest things get you...

That sounds like it's from experience...???

-Jer.

/ 3x20 & 4x20 owners - What do you have the dealer do?? #9  
Hi Guys,

I'm going to take my machine into a dealership in the spring. It'll have about 450 hours on it by that time.

I was just wondering what maintenance you all have done on your own at home vs. what you paid the JD dealer to do??

I'm OK with fluids, filters, etc. It's belts, etc that I'm unsure about.

-Jer.

I do all of the maintenance on my tractor myself.

I change all of the oil,filters,check the belts, check all hoses, check all of my jacks, I keep a good check on my backhoe jacks that swing
to make sure they don't get hit with rocks, or get dirt packed up in them, i think i have 809 hours on it and only busted one hose since i
own it. I would not take my tractor back to a dealer for any kind of service, unless it was under warranty, (they keep them to long)

* I was wanting to ask you something about your tractor last week
but didn't know if i could(PM) you, so i will go ahead and ask.

Do you like it? Does it have a cab with H/A and does it have a backhoe, if it has a BH how long is the reach?

There is a dealer close to me and last week they hauled away 3 tractors on one truck and allot of attachments on another.
i am pretty sure he has several ones like yours, i going to check it out
maybe this week, ( if i can get there, we are under a winter storm warning and maybe 1 to 2 in. of ice:eek:) SORRY SO LONG.

Bill

I do all of the maintenance on my tractor myself.

I change all of the oil,filters,check the belts, check all hoses, check all of my jacks, I keep a good check on my backhoe jacks that swing
to make sure they don't get hit with rocks, or get dirt packed up in them, i think i have 809 hours on it and only busted one hose since i
own it. I would not take my tractor back to a dealer for any kind of service, unless it was under warranty, (they keep them to long)

* I was wanting to ask you something about your tractor last week
but didn't know if i could(PM) you, so i will go ahead and ask.

Do you like it? Does it have a cab with H/A and does it have a backhoe, if it has a BH how long is the reach?

There is a dealer close to me and last week they hauled away 3 tractors on one truck and allot of attachments on another.
i am pretty sure he has several ones like yours, i going to check it out
maybe this week, ( if i can get there, we are under a winter storm warning and maybe 1 to 2 in. of ice:eek:) SORRY SO LONG.

Bill
Do you mean my tractor??

-Jer.