3X20 steering hose WARNING!

/ 3X20 steering hose WARNING! #1  

dirtworksequip

Veteran Member
Tractor
2006 JD 3520 w/cab & 300CX loader. 1995 JD 870 w/440 loader & 8b backhoe.JD 455 w/54" mower deck.
Just a heads up for anyone with a 3X20 tractor and it may apply to other Deere models also. While checking out my 3520 for more damage from the accident it was involved in, I detailed almost every inch of the engine to see if I could detect anymore damage. I only found one hose clamp on the hydraulic suction line that had been broken when the hood came in against the clamp from the collision with the Suburban. Anyway what I wanted to bring to everyones attention is to check to see if the hyraulic steering hose that runs off the steel lines on the right side of the engine is clear of the front differential. Mine was rubbing on the edge of the differential and would have eventually failed. To remedy this I slightly bent the steel line up and to the outside which gives the hydraulic steering hose more clearance with the front differential. Thats one of my big complaints about the ehydro tractors. Too many lines,hoses and wiring contacting each other, which will eventually cause problems with premature wear. Everytime I find something of this nature on my 3520 I try to adjust its possition so that it is not contacting anything or at least minimize the contact. Lots of stuff rubbing on other stuff on these machines. Down the road I think it will cause lots of small PITA parts replacement. Hope this might save someone some time,money and aggrivation in the future.

Sincerely, Dirt

Below pic taken from left side of engine compartment: If you look at the hose just above the front differential you can see a small notch in the hose where it was rubbing the differential.
zzhose.jpg

Below pic taken front the right side of the engine compartment shows the steel lines that run to the hydraulic steering hoses that may come in contact with the front differential.

zzhose1.jpg

/ 3X20 steering hose WARNING! #2  
Hmm..now I need to go back outside and look!! Thanks for the heads up.

/ 3X20 steering hose WARNING! #3  
The x55's had a problem with a steering line rubbing against the oil pan - one member here reported that his actually wore a hole in the pan!! I checked mine and it was okay, but....

My X595 had a problem with the glow-plug wires being scrunched against a bracket, which eventually wore through the insulation (hey, why are sparks flying out like that?) - when I noted it here, another poster checked his and found the same situation, although he didn't have the spark scenario. :D

Anything mass-produced has the opportunity for little slip-ups like these. It behooves us to check all that stuff.

/ 3X20 steering hose WARNING!
RWEST, sounds like the glowplug wiring needs a new design if it shorted out and cause sparks to fly on your machine.Or did it just take a little tweaking on your part to correct the situation? Seems to me and I don't know why..........there just wasn't ordinary care taken in engineering or assembly of the components to make sure that nothing wears against something else. Maybe since these models are fairly new out, Deere is waiting to see what if any issues are caused and then come up with a fix. The hoses,wires,and lines are a real tractor owners engineering nightmare. Maybe designing these factors in would have been cost prohibitive.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ 3X20 steering hose WARNING! #5  
Hi dirt. Yeah, I did some re-routing and everything was okay. But, the fact that another member here had the same problem makes me wonder a bit, y'know? These aren't exactly cheap machines - you'd think they'd put a bit more effort/care into assembly. :(

/ 3X20 steering hose WARNING! #6  
Thanks for the info Dirt, I'll be checking that out for sure..along with every other hose and wire I can get too. Thanks again.

/ 3X20 steering hose WARNING! #7  
Situations like this are exactly why I buy an extra couple feet of 5/8" heater hose whenever I do hoses on a car or truck. A short split piece & a zip-tie or two make great chafes for hoses & wiring, especially where you can't move the hose/wire much.