4,200# of slate, one 75 year old guy

/ 4,200# of slate, one 75 year old guy #1  

Budweiser John

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45D
AAB7E49C-070A-4616-BFC9-9EC34960B094.jpegBF3EA244-E4F4-455C-A2EB-EE5FD674676A.jpegNot exactly tractor related but thought I would show off a recently nearly completed project.
Our lower level has gone unfinished since we added on to the house several years ago. A few more weeks work including some natural Alder custom trim will add about 700 square feet of game room/guest suite to the homestead.
Going to take a short break before diving into the woodwork and learn how to stand up straight again.

B. John

/ 4,200# of slate, one 75 year old guy #2  
Obviously you're not a slacker. Hope I can do that kind of thing in 12 years!

/ 4,200# of slate, one 75 year old guy #3  
I did about 1000 sq ft a few years back. Also did alder trim and doors. That slate is a pain to work with but the results are worth it.

IMG_0003.JPG

/ 4,200# of slate, one 75 year old guy #4  
Looks great -- where did you get such beautiful stone?

/ 4,200# of slate, one 75 year old guy #5  
Nice job. Looks really good.

/ 4,200# of slate, one 75 year old guy #6  
Looks great -- where did you get such beautiful stone?

Lowes actually carries it. Since it is natural stone the thickness varies a little so you need to pay attention to the tiles you set next to. Also, it’s not always perfectly square and the same size. The offset pattern I used helped with that. It would be really difficult to keep straight lines with this stuff. I do love it once it is down and the job is done.

/ 4,200# of slate, one 75 year old guy #7  
Sounds like the bluestone squares I laid on our patio -- no two are the same. Would be hard to do if someone is a perfectionist, but if you can forgive the variability in the stone in exchange for the beauty, it's worth the effort. I was generous with the grout mortar and it blends things pretty well. In the end, I don't even really notice the differences/nuances in the joints, it just looks beautiful. Same as your floor!

/ 4,200# of slate, one 75 year old guy #8  
LOL - My first thought was why would anyone want to tile their ceiling...

Looks great!

/ 4,200# of slate, one 75 year old guy
Obviously you're not a slacker. Hope I can do that kind of thing in 12 years!
Thank you. Forty seven years of rural living beats sitting on one’s ***** and watching TV.

/ 4,200# of slate, one 75 year old guy #10  
Looks great. Good luck with the back and knees!