4 ply to 6 ply

/ 4 ply to 6 ply #1  

Bootlegger750

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1640 Shuttle shift
My Mahindra max 28 has 4 ply stock tires on the front. They are Starting to dry rot. Probably going to put a 6 ply on it. Same size tires, so going to 6 ply wont matter will it?

/ 4 ply to 6 ply #2  
Not only is it a good idea it shouldn't make a difference. What will make a difference is often the same tire size from different manufacturers will vary a bit.....but not enough to make a difference.

/ 4 ply to 6 ply
Not only is it a good idea it shouldn't make a difference. What will make a difference is often the same tire size from different manufacturers will vary a bit.....but not enough to make a difference.
Ok, thank you. It has Carlise on it now, will either go with Carlise 6 ply, Camso 6 ply, or the Kenda 6 ply. All are about the same price.

/ 4 ply to 6 ply
From what I've found...all inflated size were 22.5 to 22.6. I doubt that little difference would bother the 4wd

/ 4 ply to 6 ply #8  
Measure the circumference of the tire and if it is identical....tire pressure or lack thereof equal, consideration for loss of tread on old vs new, you are improving your situation going to 6 ply. If you had a 2wd it would be a no brainer period.

On sidewall strength, I went from a 6 ply 12x16.5 Industrial (came on tractor new) to a 4 ply 33x12.5xx16.5 (same circumference) thinking I'd get a softer sidewall.....well sorta, not what I expected. I did get a larger balloon which helped to absorb some shock going over bumps but it was still stiff.