Buying Advice 4' Rotary Cutter Suggestions / Opinions

/ 4' Rotary Cutter Suggestions / Opinions #11  
IF You want to buy a good 4' Woods brand rotary cutter with the drive line slip clutch, for a decent price, I have one I would sell.

It's been used very little, if you are interested, PM me.

SR
Woods produces high quality implements. If VALUE remains a prime consideration I suggest contacting Sawyer Rob.

Last edited:
   / 4' Rotary Cutter Suggestions / Opinions #12  
Condition (on used) is everything. I would look over anything used pretty hard before considering purchase. It may be "new", but if it's been left outside to rot for 20 years, I certainly wouldn't consider it "new", and would offer (or not) accordingly.

/ 4' Rotary Cutter Suggestions / Opinions
Most of the paths are 2-tracks, so I can get around them with the mower on, I just have to watch for high spots between the tire tracks. There are other places I'd LIKE to open up that I don't think I could get through with the mower.

/ 4' Rotary Cutter Suggestions / Opinions #14  
Land Pride

I run a Landpride RCR1548 on my Kubota B2601.

With a heavy 3pt "bush hog" like this, you really need some nose weight to keep the tractor balanced.

That being said, I have used this tractor and mower in heavy saw grass that was 6' high without ever tripping the slip clutch, though I did bog the tractor some in the heavy stuff.

I have also backed this into heavy brush and heavy thorny vines without drama or issues.

Don't skimp on your mower. A quality bush hog like this is a joy to use when you have a great gearbox and slip clutch. The mower frame, chains, and related features are good for protecting yourself and your tractor from a hidden rock or other shrapnel too!

With its 60Hp gearbox and driveline, I could always use it behind my L4600 too if the going was too tuff for the B2601 in my case.

In any case, be sure you get some nose weights for your little tractor. Especially for the heavier ones like mine or the EA.

My friend has the larger EA version and it is a pretty impressive mower too!

Attachments

• RCR1548.pdf
    42.1 KB · Views: 48
   / 4' Rotary Cutter Suggestions / Opinions #15  
I had a 5ft brush mower with shear bolt setup and it was okay for my clutched pto as I could ease into starting the blades. Next tractor had electric pto and I could not start mower without breaking shear bolts. Added slip clutch and replaced shear bolts with a grade 8 bolt. Slip clutch absorbed the shock of instant on pto...no more problems. Something to consider if you have electric pto switch.

/ 4' Rotary Cutter Suggestions / Opinions #16  
I sold my 9 year old Frontier RC2048 and bought a Landpride RC1248 for the B2601. The sales guy had both Woods and Landpride. He recommended the Landpride.

After putting the RC on the B2601 and getting it setup, I recommend the Frontier over the Landpride. The Frontier is 1) easier to set up, 2) has chains instead of rubber pieces at front and back, 3) works better with the QH. The Landpride's method of setting tail wheel height with 2 little bolts is harder than the Frontier's method of swinging on a long bolt and using a second long bolt to put it at right location. I had to use a U adaptor on the top link of the Landpride because it absolutely would not lower below about 3 or 4 inches with the QH hook in place on the swing area just below the top pin. I had to connect the U adaptor to the top pin. I'll now have to use the U adaptor with the other implements because of too much hassle to put the hook back. The U adaptor works with them, but the hook did, too, just not the Landpride.

At least the Landpride dealer provided a push pin Ujoint connector and not one of those collars. I'd requested a push pin on the Frontier after having an LX4 with a collar.

/ 4' Rotary Cutter Suggestions / Opinions
Land Pride

I run a Landpride RCR1548 on my Kubota B2601.

With a heavy 3pt "bush hog" like this, you really need some nose weight to keep the tractor balanced.

That being said, I have used this tractor and mower in heavy saw grass that was 6' high without ever tripping the slip clutch, though I did bog the tractor some in the heavy stuff.

I have also backed this into heavy brush and heavy thorny vines without drama or issues.

Don't skimp on your mower. A quality bush hog like this is a joy to use when you have a great gearbox and slip clutch. The mower frame, chains, and related features are good for protecting yourself and your tractor from a hidden rock or other shrapnel too!

With its 60Hp gearbox and driveline, I could always use it behind my L4600 too if the going was too tuff for the B2601 in my case.

In any case, be sure you get some nose weights for your little tractor. Especially for the heavier ones like mine or the EA.

My friend has the larger EA version and it is a pretty impressive mower too!
I could see where that might be an issue. I think the FEL would balance it out, if necessary. Thanks for pointing that out.

/ 4' Rotary Cutter Suggestions / Opinions #18  
I had a 5ft brush mower with shear bolt setup and it was okay for my clutched pto as I could ease into starting the blades. Next tractor had electric pto and I could not start mower without breaking shear bolts. Added slip clutch and replaced shear bolts with a grade 8 bolt. Slip clutch absorbed the shock of instant on pto...no more problems. Something to consider if you have electric pto switch.
Exactly what I am doing today. 2025r and found a Cosmo FL 165 flail mower. Only 479# I do not like the M10 shear bolt on the pto shaft. Locatedva 6" dia slip clutch and will be fitting up today. That instant on pto problem should stop with a bit of slip. Mows great, on a rough yard.

/ 4' Rotary Cutter Suggestions / Opinions #19  
The LP RC1248 seems to cut better and to follow uneven contours better than the Frontier. The LP was just harder to set up than the Frontier RC2048. Think the movement allowed in the RC1248 is more than on the Frontier.

/ 4' Rotary Cutter Suggestions / Opinions #20  
What features would you look for or avoid as far as going for a heavier duty unit?

One unit I saw was made from 10 GA steel and weighed nearly 200 lbs. more than another, but does that necessarily mean it's tougher?
Yes