4000 Series Questions

/ 4000 Series Questions #1  

GreatWhitehunter

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 110 TLB
For the last few years I've wrestled with the "want" of upgrading to a 4000 series machine. My 3320 TLB has served me extremely well which has made upgrading even more difficult. I was leaning towards a 110 tlb but since being discontinued, finding a low hr used unit has been problematic. Since the 110 is on the low end of the pto hp spectrum, I realized that a 4320-4720 will be a better fit.

I'm undecided on open station or cab, I'm also torn as to whether to keep my 448 to put on the 4000 machine. I don't use the hoe all that much so I feel like selling it with the 3320 might be a good choice. I know I want the 400cx loader and most likely will buy a lightly used machine. My primary uses will be loader work so I'll definitely be sticking with ehydro. I'd like to be able to lift 2k confidently and I'm leaning toward the skid steer mounts vs the JD mount. I do a lot of woods work which has me concerned with the cab, but as the saying goes " don't like the weather in New England? Wait a minute". The cab would make the tractor more useable year round. I'm looking to add some property soon, so there'll be clearing and mowing at some point also. I'd look to sell a lot of the implements with the 3320 since width and capacity wouldn't suit a 4000 machine. I'd really like a box blade with hydraulic scarifiers and will add all rear hydro options. Are there any that aren't capable of be adding in the field? I'm also torn on a 4 in 1 bucket. I currently have one on the 3320 and it's nice to have but I also have a grapple. I find the 4 in 1 is a decent compromise but not as useful as a dedicated grapple. I do find myself being lazy and making do with the 4 in 1 though.

So from current 4000 series owners, what are you suggestions?

Matt:confused2:

Last edited:
   / 4000 Series Questions #2  
I'm in the same boat. I started a previous thread on this same subject. I thought I had decided in the 3000 series but now am considering the 4000 series now. Tough call, both good tractors. My only concern is stability. The extra width of the 4000 series should help greatly.

/ 4000 Series Questions #3  
I have an open station 4720, and I really like it. Lots of power! I think you touched on the main advantages a 4x20 has over a 3x20...stability, loader lift, and power. The 4x20 is all steel vs the aluminum castings on the 3x20. I do like the JD powertech 4 cyl also.
I have the skid steer mounts. They are nice, but about 500.00 option. You do get the original jd shoes, so you can sell them or change back if you change your mind. You can save some money on attachments with the skid steer system. The WorksitePro bucket weighs about 500 lbs and is very stout.

/ 4000 Series Questions #4  
I had a 3320 open that I bought new with 300CX loader. Last winter I decided In didn't want to freeze my butt off anymore so I was pricing out a Curtiss Cab. Not cheap-even without heat. In any case was cruising Craigs list one night and found a low hour (215) 4720 cab at a good price. No regrets. Like you I was worried about glass damage going into the woods but so far so good. It has a 400X loader and while not self leveling, I appreciate the extra lift capacity.

As for a 4 in 1 bucket, a nice feature but you loose lift capacity. I bought a WildKat 48 grapple and find that I have enough flexibility between the 72" HD bucket and the grapple. I have the JD quick connect system.

As for tires, machine had R-3's and after a bit of sliding around in the mud, I was able to get a super deal from my local dealer who had a complete set of R-4's that had been duplicated on a municipal order- I bought them and sold the R-3's for not much less than I paid for the new R-4's.

/ 4000 Series Questions
One other thing I forgot to mention is storage. I'm able to house an open station machine in my heated garage. While a cab unit will reside in a portable garage. I have a new kawasaki mule with cab that I'll be plowing with but I occationally use the tractor to stack snow. I'm still keeping an eye out for a 110 TLB which adds another twist. R4's are my choice for which ever machine I end up with. Does anyone have a cab total height? Also a length from bucket to draft links?

Matt

/ 4000 Series Questions #6  
Matt,
The 110tlb is quite a bit taller than the 4x20 cab tractors see picture. The 110 with cab or rops is the same height and wouldn't fold so you would likely need to park it outside. After eight years I am glad I went with a cab on the 110 and haven't broken any glass so far. I bought the 4520 cab in 2009 and the two work together very well for me.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 183
   / 4000 Series Questions #7  
One other thing I forgot to mention is storage. I'm able to house an open station machine in my heated garage. While a cab unit will reside in a portable garage. I have a new kawasaki mule with cab that I'll be plowing with but I occationally use the tractor to stack snow. I'm still keeping an eye out for a 110 TLB which adds another twist. R4's are my choice for which ever machine I end up with. Does anyone have a cab total height? Also a length from bucket to draft links?

Matt

I will get a measurement for you this evening, but I think its close to 15 feet.

/ 4000 Series Questions #8  
I think a 4720 cab will go under a 10 ft opening with room to spare. Height to top of cab on my Kubota M7040 is 101"s which is 8.4 ft.

/ 4000 Series Questions #9  
I measured about 14' 6" from the bucket to the draft links...a shade over 16 feet with the iMatch and ballast box. My open staion is about 8' 2" to the top of the ROPS. I recall that the cab model is actually a couple inches shorter than that. All my measurements could be off an inch or two.

/ 4000 Series Questions #10  
I measured about 14' 6" from the bucket to the draft links...a shade over 16 feet with the iMatch and ballast box. My open staion is about 8' 2" to the top of the ROPS. I recall that the cab model is actually a couple inches shorter than that. All my measurements could be off an inch or two.

I think you are pretty close on those numbers, I know my 4520 cab is very close to 8' tall.