4060 Boomer

/ 4060 Boomer #1  
Tractor
NH4060, Ford 1520 JD345
Stopped running in the field.
Slowly died and would not restart. When I left the ignition on for a few minutes it would start and run for a few seconds, then die.
If I did not wait a few minutes it would not run at all, not even a chug.
I ordered a new Fuel filter as I am thinking that's all it can be.... I am way overdue on the Fuel filter service.. just got away from me as it is 300hr intervals... I have 293hr. Not sure if it was changed at 50HR as recommended
Any thoughts ?

/ 4060 Boomer #2  
It could be a fuel filter but that's not all it can be. Pull a line apart near the tank and watch the flow. If it slows way down after a few seconds you've got crud in the tank. With the advent of cooler temperatures, depending upon where you live, you could even be experiencing gelling of the fuel. Get an additive.

/ 4060 Boomer
Thanks for the reply. In Indiana it is 70F so no gelling and my machine lives in a semi heated space anyway. I will see what the new filter does and see what the fuel pump pumps.

/ 4060 Boomer
Can someone tell me how /where to bleed the line when changing the Fuel filter CNH 4060 Boomer

Attachments

• IMG_6115.JPG
    IMG_6115.JPG
    221.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Fuel Filter bowel.JPG
    Fuel Filter bowel.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 73
   / 4060 Boomer #5  
Can someone tell me how /where to bleed the line when changing the Fuel filter CNH 4060 Boomer
Do you have the owner's manual? Specific instructions for your model will be in there.

Generally speaking, bleeding requires shutting off the fuel valve, replacing the filter element and cleaning the filter bowl (if it has that type of filter), putting the filter together, opening the fuel valve, opening the bleeder screw on the top of the filter housing and allowing the air to come out of the filter as indicated by no bubbles coming out of the bleeder screw, and tightening the bleeder screw. If you have a bleeder screw on the injector pump (IP), open it up until clear fuel comes out. Some systems require you to crank the engine to bleed the IP. At this point you might try to start and if it fails you can bleed at the injectors. to do that, loosen the nut AT THE INJECTOR just enough to allow fuel to dribble out and crank the engine until nothing but fuel comes out. You can do this one injector at a time of all at once. Usually the engine will start part way through this phase.

Your best bet is still to follow the instructions in the owner's manual but this should also work.

/ 4060 Boomer
Thank you all for your well thought out comments.
What confused me were the Utube videos I saw that indicated I needed to bleed each of the 4 injectors.
My 4060 Boomer , is a 2009 and there is no bleed screw on top of the bowl housing or anywhere else that I can see . The O/M says the machine is "Self Bleeding" if you have not run out of fuel .
The O/M was correct... They say " Fill the fuel filter bowel......you cannot , with the loader arms you cannot approach vertically, only horizontal, then vertical. In any event, Problem solved. I am a mechanical guy but every process has its Nuances, and since I only do it seasonally, its hard to get real good at it. I thank all you guys for your input.
BTW I would love to have a Tractor guy/girl service my machines seasonally.
in zip codes 53147 (Lake Geneva, WI) and 46375 (Schererville, In). I am not lazy, just busy...