4120 condition check

/ 4120 condition check #1  

jawjaboy

Tractor
John Deere A
Called a JD dealer about a 2006 4120 hydrostatic with 400cx loader. 1400 hours. Trade-in. So the kid sales guy says it's in their shop to fix leaks. Got it split with the front axle in parts.

My assumption is those were hard hours with the owner pushing it beyond its limit and the chassis is now warped and will never be right - not to mention anything else that was overworked from being rode hard and put up wet. Best to pass on it? That a fair assessment?

Last edited:
   / 4120 condition check #2  
I believe I'd try to get an assessment from the mechanic doing the work, not the "kid sales guy". The salesman may not even be referring to the same tractor you're inquiring about - could have confused two similar tractors in the shop at the same time. Then again he could be correct and you may want to pass.

/ 4120 condition check
Kid is supposed me back after talking to the service manager. Good idea to talk to the mechanic. Will do that.
I believe I'd try to get an assessment from the mechanic doing the work, not the "kid sales guy". The salesman may not even be referring to the same tractor you're inquiring about - could have confused two similar tractors in the shop at the same time. Then again he could be correct and you may want to pass.

/ 4120 condition check #4  
I would pass on it. That was early in run in that series and it is an E Hydro (electronics control the hydrostatic drive or in other words, drive by wire.)
I would be leary of one that age and that had been split. Too much opportunity for gremlins to appear.
I had a 2011 built 4120 and while it was comfortable and I liked it at first I got rid of it at a little over 600 hours. I did my own maintenance and installed most of my options and the more I wrenched on it the less impressed I was with it.

/ 4120 condition check
I would pass on it. That was early in run in that series and it is an E Hydro (electronics control the hydrostatic drive or in other words, drive by wire.)
I would be leary of one that age and that had been split.

Copy. Was already having second thoughts on this one.

What about the ones with the PowerReverse Syncro trans?

/ 4120 condition check #6  
I have a 2005 4120 power reverser with 1000 hours on it now, and it has been a very good tractor. My only complaint is that the original Bosh starter failed from corrosion, when it was about 5 years old. A factory replacement starter was big bucks back then, so I opted for an aftermarket "Powerstrike" starter.
That has been working well for the last 11 years.

The only other parts or maintenance that tractor has received has been engine oil and filter every 100 hours, coolant flush and change in 2018, new front tires in 20l6, and a new battery in 2015. It has never leaked a drop of any fluid. I have also never changed the hydraulic or fuel filter. I do use deisel fuel conditioner all the time.

I have had as many as 4 other tractors, most of the time I have had the 4120, and it is mostly just me operating. That is why the hours are low on it. I have been thinning the herd a bit lately, and now I am down to just one other (my first tractor, a 1951 Ford 8n).

Wrenching and maintenance are easier on the 4120 JD than on the old Ford, but the old Ford is a lot easier to change 3 point implements on. I suppose that is because it was the model that first brought us the 3 point hitch, plus it is a lot lighter and easier to muscle around.

Oil filter changes are particularly difficult on the old Ford. The only wrenching the JD has needed in 16 years has been the starter swap, which was a piece of cake 10 minute job. The worse job I had to do on old Ford, was changing the distributer last winter. It took me most of a day to get the drive gear on the right tooth.