4120 fuel return line location

/ 4120 fuel return line location #11  
Wish you the best, and the cheapest to get it fixed. Thanks for letting us know.

/ 4120 fuel return line location
Just got the bad news. The bolt holding the camshaft came loose and backed out. With damage to other parts, replacement parts, outside testing of the head unit, and labor the dealer is estimating around $10K to fix it. This is very unexpected and to be honest, disappointing. I’ve always been so confident in my choice of John Deere and remember feeling that even though the initial cost of the tractor was high, it would last for my lifetime. I have no choice but to fix it and have given the go ahead for the repair. But to put it plainly, it sucks.

/ 4120 fuel return line location #13  
A couple of suggestions. How about a new remanufactured engine/ and or a new engine direct from John Deere. The dealer is going to do a lot of inspection work, creating a parts list, ordering materials, follow up when something is missed, etc. extending the repair time. It maybe cheaper and quicker to purchase another engine. Your present engine should have a core value to it. Maybe that cost could cover the replacement labor for another engine. Plus another engine should/ could come with some type of warranty beyond what the dealer is going to supply. Just a thought.

A couple of suggestions. How about a new remanufactured engine/ and or a new engine direct from John Deere. The dealer is going to do a lot of inspection work, creating a parts list, ordering materials, follow up when something is missed, etc. extending the repair time. It maybe cheaper and quicker to purchase another engine. Your present engine should have a core value to it. Maybe that cost could cover the replacement labor for another engine. Plus another engine should/ could come with some type of warranty beyond what the dealer is going to supply. Just a thought.
After writing this earlier I thought of the same thing myself. Not sure how feasible it is since JD no longer makes the engine. But I intend to find out. Thanks for suggesting it.

/ 4120 fuel return line location #15  
After writing this earlier I thought of the same thing myself. Not sure how feasible it is since JD no longer makes the engine. But I intend to find out. Thanks for suggesting it.
They still have the complete replacement engines on JD Parts. I just looked it up and they are available at the factory for the dealer to order. 10,000 and some change. I would lean toward a new engine, but total cost would be higher since there would still be quite a bit of labor to install the new engine.

They still have the complete replacement engines on JD Parts. I just looked it up and they are available at the factory for the dealer to order. 10,000 and some change. I would lean toward a new engine, but total cost would be higher since there would still be quite a bit of labor to install the new engine.
Yes. Engine alone is more than than parts and labor to repair the existing engine. I’m waiting for the test results on the head to make the final decision but I’m leaning towards repair of existing instead of remove and replace. Thanks though.

Tractor is back home again after an engine rebuild. My wallet is gasping. So far so good But haven’t had much opportunity to run it. I know sh#t happens, but the failure of such a key component (the bolt holding the cam in place) has left me with a damaged opinion of Deere’s build quality. I know, there are millions of examples to the contrary. But my experience has left me a little shocked. I figured the tractor would have outlived me. It might now I suppose, but only after some very costly maintenance. Ah well, onward. Time to put the chains on.

Attachments

• 80A81DD5-DDFC-4A0D-A387-E666CA833251.jpeg
    80A81DD5-DDFC-4A0D-A387-E666CA833251.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 61