4120 PTO w/o driver on seat

/ 4120 PTO w/o driver on seat #1  

whitedogone

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4120
Well this weekend I borrowed a backhoe attachment from my uncle. We needed to replace a culvert next to our pond. I thought I followed all the procedures in the manual to opperate the pto when off the drivers seat, but it didn't work. I had to keep a log chain on the seat or the 4120 would shut down. What do I need to check and how?

IMGP5962.JPG

/ 4120 PTO w/o driver on seat #3  
From the Owners Manual: Step 3 or 6 is the ones that often gets overlooked.

Using Rear PTO (Operator off Seat)

NOTE: The rear PTO can be engaged with the operator off the seat. The Safety Interlock System will stop the engine and all implements if the mid-PTO is engaged and the operator gets off the seat.
Engaging Rear PTO
1. Sit on operator痴 seat.
2. Move transmission to neutral position:
PowrReverser: Depress clutch pedal completely and move the transmission gear and range shift levers to the N (neutral) position. Move the reverser lever to the N (neutral) position.
eHydro: Move the range shift lever to the N (neutral) position.
3. Lock park brake.
4. Push all PTO engagement knobs to the disengaged/off position.
NOTE: The starter will not crank if the rear PTO knob is pulled to the engaged/on position.
5. Start the engine and adjust speed to 1500 rpm.
6. Get off the operator痴 seat.
7. Engage rear PTO:
Tractors without cab - Pull the rear PTO engagement knob to the engaged/on position.
Tractors with cab - Move the PTO selector lever to rearward position for rear PTO only. Pull the rear PTO engagement knob to the engaged/on position.
8. The instrument panel PTO engaged light will illuminate when the rear PTO is engaged.
9. The engine should continue to run.
10. Adjust the hand throttle lever forward to the desired speed for implement used.
NOTE: The PTO marker on the tachometer indicates engine speed for a standard 540 PTO.

/ 4120 PTO w/o driver on seat
From the Owners Manual: Step 3 or 6 is the ones that often gets overlooked.

Using Rear PTO (Operator off Seat)

NOTE: The rear PTO can be engaged with the operator off the seat. The Safety Interlock System will stop the engine and all implements if the mid-PTO is engaged and the operator gets off the seat.
Engaging Rear PTO
1. Sit on operator痴 seat.
2. Move transmission to neutral position:
PowrReverser: Depress clutch pedal completely and move the transmission gear and range shift levers to the N (neutral) position. Move the reverser lever to the N (neutral) position.
eHydro: Move the range shift lever to the N (neutral) position.
3. Lock park brake.
4. Push all PTO engagement knobs to the disengaged/off position.
NOTE: The starter will not crank if the rear PTO knob is pulled to the engaged/on position.
5. Start the engine and adjust speed to 1500 rpm.
6. Get off the operator痴 seat.
7. Engage rear PTO:
Tractors without cab - Pull the rear PTO engagement knob to the engaged/on position.
Tractors with cab - Move the PTO selector lever to rearward position for rear PTO only. Pull the rear PTO engagement knob to the engaged/on position.
8. The instrument panel PTO engaged light will illuminate when the rear PTO is engaged.
9. The engine should continue to run.
10. Adjust the hand throttle lever forward to the desired speed for implement used.
NOTE: The PTO marker on the tachometer indicates engine speed for a standard 540 PTO.

I'm 99% sure I followed those steps.

/ 4120 PTO w/o driver on seat #5  
The most common mistake is to engage the PTO BEFORE leaving the seat, if you follow the directions quoted from the manual and select rear PTO only, the engine does not stop.

/ 4120 PTO w/o driver on seat
The most common mistake is to engage the PTO BEFORE leaving the seat, if you follow the directions quoted from the manual and select rear PTO only, the engine does not stop.

I was stepping off tractor when I engaged pto. :confused3:

/ 4120 PTO w/o driver on seat #7  
if you engage the pto while on the tractor and then get off, the tractor thinks you fell off

/ 4120 PTO w/o driver on seat #9  
i was off the seat..... just standing on platform

Just try the procedure again...it should work with you standing on the platform (as long as you're not leaning on the seat), but if it doesn't work, try it off the tractor.
If it still doesn't work, you have a lever in gear (probably the range lever) or a bad safety switch.

/ 4120 PTO w/o driver on seat #10  
If there is a mid-PTO switch, that likely will need to be off as well.

But the log chain fix is prolly the easiest. :D