4200 Overheated once then ran hot thereafter

/ 4200 Overheated once then ran hot thereafter
It seems to get to normal operating temperature in the normal amount of time (the same as always) then slowly climb from there with the heavy mowing. It seems to stay right at the green/red line or just into the red for quite a while during mowing (maybe an hour). Then it'll start to move again and I shut down the mower and let the temp drop on the guage before heading back to the barn to let her rest.

The temp drops back to a normal operating level once I stop mowing. The rate at which the temp falls back to normal doesn't seem to be effected by whether or not I shut off the tractor or leave it running at idle. I've never timed it either way so that's just a 'gut feel' kind of thing.

Here's what I've eliminated thus far; Low coolant level, low oil level, bad alternator belt or fan clutch, clogged grilles, clogged radiator screen, clogged radiator fins, clogged air filter.

It's raining today so I won't be mowing any more until at least tomorrow and maybe not until the weekend as it's supposed to rain again Thursday.

Even though I'm still not convinced this isn't the result of just overworking the tractor, I stopped at NAPA yesterday to get a thermostat. They couldn't find the thermostat in their book so I'm calling the Deere store this morning as I think that's a good 'next step' in the process here. If that or a new radiator cap doesn't do it, I'll look at either replacing the sending unit or flushing the system. Beyond that, I'll waive the white flag and take it to someone who's smarter than me on this stuff.

Is there anything else I should try or a better order in which to try these things?

/ 4200 Overheated once then ran hot thereafter #12  
Gary, this is just a thought.

I had a similar problem as you. On my JD 4610, the transmission cooler is in front of the radiator. I took the front grille off and cleaned the trans cooler, screen and the radiator. It help some but still wasn't right. I went back and looked at the radiator from the other side (side next to the engine) and found it to be pretty clogged at the bottom. I couldn't see this from looking from the front. I took an air hose and blew the radiator fins out real good. Haven't had a problem since.

Just a thought.

/ 4200 Overheated once then ran hot thereafter #13  
Anyone ever use a heat-transfer-improving agent in their tractors cooling system? (Redline WaterWetter type of thing).

Tim

Last night I tried to get my hand around the fan shroud and between a couple fan blades to see how dirty that side was. I really couldn't tell much one way or the other. I didn't feel much dirt in the little spot I touched but that wasn't much of a test, really.

I'd kind of forgotten about it until I called the Deere service department here today and the guy there told me to make sure I blew that out real good with either a pressure washer or an air hose. Since I have a compressor but no well at this property I grabbed a blower connection for my air line out there and will clean that out real well before I try to mow tomorrow night (assuming this rain stops but the wind remains through tonight and tomorrow).

I'll be sure to report in when I get the chance to try this idea. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I tried blowing out the fan side of the radiator tonight. It's so tight that I couldn't see what I was doing but the lack of anything flying out lead me to believe I didn't accomplish much. I did get my front pasture finished tonight and even did a little more around the old house there.

I think the bottom line on this whole thing might be that I need to be just creeping along at something below walking speed when I'm running that 6' finish mower through heavy grass like this.

I need to keep an eye on it still, but I'm going to be real curious to see what it does when I hook up the brush hog to mow the side and rear pastures tomorrow. I've brush hogged through some terrible stuff and never had a problem so I think that'll be the real test.

Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions and advice. If I have no problems with the brush hog I'll know it was just overworking the tractor. If I have problems with that I'll post what else I do to solve the problem so you'll all know what it was. Thanks again. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 4200 Overheated once then ran hot thereafter #16  
Gary:

FWIW I have a MX6 (recommended) for my 4710...I'm thinking you're right about "overworking" in heavy stuff.

Jack