/ 4200 #1  

Anonymous Poster

Well im glad to say alls well.Got 42 hrs. on it couldn'tstand it any longer,did a lube change this wknd.Just about what you would expect to see came out of engine oil,small brassy lookin particles.The HST is another story.Nothing at all,fliud clean,screen clean,filter looked clean,couldn't get nothing out of it .This 4200 has been a great little tractor,no regrets yet.

/ 4200 #2  
Yo-Ho Kerr. Did the lube change, switch her to synthetic? Or did you stay with dino oil? Next time I change the Ferg's oil, I'm gonna use Mobil 1 in the engine. She's got 2065 hours on the clock - so I guess she's about broke in by now. Getting that patch by the pond cleaned up? Using the front end loader alot? Bet those things do come in handy. Without P/S I can't see putting one on the Ferg, already got arms like Pop-eye from brush-hogging with her. Well gotta get to it, momma still wants me to do the dishes, mop the floor, do a dozen or so loads of laundry, and paint the kitchen before I go to bed. Ain't life great?

/ 4200
Lo raptor,i stuck with fossel.All J.D. fliuds,no specific reason.I sure was glad to find nothing in the hydo. oil!! But i thought i would find something on the p/u screen.Not a trace.Ive used 4x4 and diff.lock bout 10-15 hrs.If there was any contamination the filter did its job well.Started to cut open the filter but its pretty stout,the outer shell.Mabee cause its hotter than a 2dollar rolex outside!I feel good now about the trans. oil thing.Problee {e-bonix dont ya know} change to syn.in the spring i figure.What ya know about Synergin oils?Talked to em on the phone,had ta put my steeltoes on the desk,didn`t want em ta rust up on me HA.Wernt that bad,say they have a j.d. approved trans. + engine oils..I got time ta get more info before change time.Tell me 1 more time what yr. lil fergy is,gona get ya a hood like new for a dip a skoal and a huntin windyHA HA Im out a here for now,KERRS GONE!

/ 4200 #4  
Yo Kerr:

Hold on to your easy-boy. I think I'm gonna sell the Freg, and get a UNIMOG (never did get them outta my system). I'm trying to find one with a front end loader, and backhoe. Outta make the gardening a little easier :) There's a place up in NY that's got a couple - might hitch the squaw up and take a look see. That place down the road from you, ever have anymore of 'em?

Sounds like the Deere's a keeper! Glad to hear that. I'm guessing by now ya got a 100 or so hours on her? I always wanted to cut open an oil filter -see what it caught (never did). Gonna blast off. Be good to yourself!

/ 4200
Kerr, this is my 1st posting on this site. My reply is somewhat dated. Glad it's w/a 4200 owner.
I'm a July 99 HST w/420 ldr. 4wd. 180hrs on the clock, 2 fluid /filter changes. Super 'sheen cept
batt leak...after some serious soil mining...fixt
w/self installed batt tub..do watch ur batt caps for weeping...stray juice will eat the tranny cooler! #2 imperfection so far is a hyd qwik coupler bracket for loader. It's set up in a 4x1 horizontal config. My R-1's were scuffing the outboard coupler on a full lock right turn. So far a pre-warrantee fix has been to suck up the lines, bracket and couplers with a hose clamp and rubber mat on the box frame. Manual shows a 2over2 quad bracket set-up specific to the 4200. Do you or anyone else out there in CUT/JD/4200-land have this type of bracket boner? Looks like a job for DEALERMAN ! My final eval at this point is a big thumbs up for this critter. I work a 50+ acre
equestrian facility here in Gig Harbor WA. No agricultural or silvacultural tasks per se, but hogging, rock-raking, dragging, grooming driveways/horse paths/3 arenas/parking lot and cross-country course works this puppy to a pant. We got'sa neet tractor. (just glad I have an MTD for my personal lawn !) Lazy K's OFF

/ 4200 #7  
Chip Kelly's
LazyK
Sorry, I'll figure this out.

Chip Kelly-LazyK

/ 4200 #8  
Chip,thanks alot for the batt.juice info.The batt.box sounds like a real good idea.As for the coupler bar,4 in a row east-west.You are talking about the fel hose connectors?There is no way any tires could rub on the unit i have.Maybe the dealer mounted the bracket in the wrong place.I just ran out to the barn and took a closer look,i bet you have the wrong bracket for turf tires.At full right turn with r4 tires it is kinda close .3 inch on flat surface .if i remember rite the turf tires are taller and wider than r4s.Did you get any trash out of the hydro oil when you svc.your unit?

/ 4200 #9  
Kerr:
Sorry for delay in reply...been in L.A.
To your question: Hyd juice free of chunkies of consequence. Crankcase oil surprisingly clean after each change. I'm sending an oil sample to "S-O-S Fluid Analysis" here in Seattle. Their breakdown of suspended metals and chemicals found in the oil helps me to establish a base-line condition of the fluids early in the critter's operating life.
By submitting future samples, comparing unusual changes in fluid contents over time and sticking to the recommended lube schedule...I hope to run this 4200 for a long time.

Hey, sorry for getting off on a rant. Glad you are enjoying your's, same as me! Re: Hyd line bracket,
it's incorrect and new items to correct problems of R1 scuffing qwik-connects will be installed by my dealer under warranty. Whew!

Thanks for your reply...

Chip Kelly-LazyK