422 Fertilizer Spreader

/ 422 Fertilizer Spreader #1  

BobRip

Elite Member
Tractor
2000 Power Trac 422
I.just got the fertilizer spreader for my PT422. There is a bar with fingers that can be bolted to the spreader disc. It will stir what is in the hopper. When it is installed you can only partially close the bottom gate. I spread some pellitized lime without this device. So the question is when would you use this?

/ 422 Fertilizer Spreader #2  
I don't have that with my spreader. It is probably for something that has a tendency to clump such as damp fertilizer or salt just my guess. Did it come standard with the spreader or was it extra? Could you post a picture of it?

/ 422 Fertilizer Spreader #3  
Most likely for rocksalts. They are angular and tend to bind a tendency compounded by absorbed moisture...

/ 422 Fertilizer Spreader
I attached a picture IMG_1233.JPG

Evidently Power Trac added this recently. I will probably not need it often. I will call Terry tomorrow and get his opinion. Thanks for the answers.

I talked to Keith and he was not sure when to use the stirring bar. In general if it clumps and will not feed then use the stirring bar.

I don't have that with my spreader. It is probably for something that has a tendency to clump such as damp fertilizer or salt just my guess. Did it come standard with the spreader or was it extra? Could you post a picture of it?

It did come standard.

/ 422 Fertilizer Spreader #8  
Terry told me that it was originally designed for applying lime.

Basically anything that tends to pack when in the hopper, and yes, it is normal that you can't shut the gate to the hopper when it is installed- I asked. I think that the logic is that if you need to be stirring the hopper, it won't flow without agitation, and if it does flow without agitation, you don't need the stirring bar.

All the best,

Peter

Terry told me that it was originally designed for applying lime.

Basically anything that tends to pack when in the hopper, and yes, it is normal that you can't shut the gate to the hopper when it is installed- I asked. I think that the logic is that if you need to be stirring the hopper, it won't flow without agitation, and if it does flow without agitation, you don't need the stirring bar.

All the best,

Peter

I expect you are right. I was thinking about putting a clump buster on the gate and as you worked the gate open and closed it would break up any clump at the gate. I was thinking about having a bolt through the gate or a large nail welded to the top of the gate. I had a clump while feeding pellitized lime. It was easy enough to get out of the PT and poke my finger in the bottom of the hopper and break the clump. I will use the spreader a lot more before I would add the clump buster.

Last edited:
Just used the spreader today and put down 170 lbs of fertilizer in less than 30 minutes. Just guessing on the time. It spreads it very wide. I really just wanted to say I like the spreader. Being able to start and stop the feed from the tractor seat is a nice feature which I did not have in my pull behind spreader. There were no issues with clumping.