424/425 tire chain recommendations

/ 424/425 tire chain recommendations #1  

ultrameta

Tractor
Yanmar SA424
There doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of clearance — is there a particular brand or style people have had good results with? Mostly for snow traction.

/ 424/425 tire chain recommendations #2  
Very little clearance needed for these;

1680971604295.png

100_4175.JPG

100_4176.JPG

/ 424/425 tire chain recommendations #3  
You do not say where you are located,,,
that matters, for my response,,

I only get "some" snow,, so, I am never fighting 4 foot drifts,,
My solution for chains was to simply add chains to the FRONT TIRES!!

All the clearance issues go away, and the cost of front tire chains is a mere fraction of the cost of rear chains.

Ofp4guR.jpg

My 4105 JD is perfect with front chains,,,

/ 424/425 tire chain recommendations
I’m in the hills of Western Massachusetts. We get a decent amount of snow. I haven’t had major traction problems until this past winter when we got 3’ of snow at once, the biggest single storm I’ve seen here. That was too much to plow with a light tractor, so I used a walk behind snow blower to clear the top 24”, which left a fairly packed down and slippery base. The Yanmar did a lot of spinning on that. Had to break out the snow shovel a few times to get unstuck! I think especially with the diff lock being on the rear that rear chains will help more in future situations like this, but it’s a great money saving tip to do only the fronts for other situations.

/ 424/425 tire chain recommendations #5  
I didn't think there was sufficient clearance of the hydraulic lines to run rear chains on my 424. Would be a disaster if you threw a chain. i run front chains and weighted tires and it does great.

/ 424/425 tire chain recommendations #6  
Front chains made a big difference on our little yanmar with a 60” blade on the front. I would throw those on first if the snow wasn’t too deep. 15 hp and the light weight would be too much for over about 6” of wet snow. I would fit the rear chains as well if the forecast was for more than 8” because that could mean 15”. I used old car chains for the front and wrapped them around and used some “hydro“ pull sting to them tight. i used truck tire chains for the rears. The 1/8 poly string stretches quite a bit so t allows the flex of the chains. Cam