425 intermittent loss of power

/ 425 intermittent loss of power #1  

Modrob

Silver Member
Tractor
Power Trac
Our little older 425 sometimes loses pulling power—noticed it happens sometimes when I get a bucket of rock and bring it back up our fairly steep driveway. I’ll get about halfway and it slows down quite a bit, as I’m about to mash the pedal through the floor. I believe once it did come to a near stop. I think I just backed off the effort and each time it would then start to pull better. Also, at some point in the roll I hear more of a whine or whirrr sound that seems to come from the front wheel pumps...maybe rear too...
Sometimes I think I notice less ability when using the bucket but it usually doesn’t last long.
Tank fluid maybe?

/ 425 intermittent loss of power #2  
How old is the oil? Oil oil might be thinned out and out of spec.
Remember, a light application of the treadle rocker is for high torque low speed, where a push the treadle to the floor is high speed and minimal torque. That is why your tractor went better when you let off the treadle.
Sounds like your tram pump is worn out as a full treadle application should stall the engine.

/ 425 intermittent loss of power
How old is the oil? Oil oil might be thinned out and out of spec.
Remember, a light application of the treadle rocker is for high torque low speed, where a push the treadle to the floor is high speed and minimal torque. That is why your tractor went better when you let off the treadle.
Sounds like your tram pump is worn out as a full treadle application should stall the engine.
Ah ha! I’m pretty sure the oil is needing attention—my wife’s late husband used/maintained this and we have no idea when/if he had changed it.
Thanks for all that good info.

/ 425 intermittent loss of power
Oh and I’m virtually standing on the treadle and it’s not stalling in the least...ouch...