430 FEL won't lift

/ 430 FEL won't lift #1  

butzkeg

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300 HST
430 FEL won\'t lift

Just got the tractor back after having front axle worked on, put about 10 hours on it in 2 days, and now the FEL won't pick up. The dealer had it for 10 days.

Here's what I can deduce:
The FEL has down power and the bucket curls both ways just fine. The hoe still has power in every direction. I haven't tried the 3ph since the hoe is on. Hydraulic fluid level is ok.

When I disonnected the line that lifts the loader, it let out a lot of air. There was no fluid at the disconnect either. There was no warmth anywhere on the line from the joystick/control area up to the cylinders (probably meaning no fluid?). When I try to pick up, the pump is trying to do it, but there is no movement. Everything around the joystick control area looks to be connected, and I can't find any leaks.

Any suggestions? I realize it will probably end up at the dealer again, but would like to finish my project if possible.

/ 430 FEL won't lift
Re: 430 FEL won\'t lift

Yes, air I guess. There was quite a bit of pressure. After I let that out with the tractor off, I started it back-up and had the same results. How it would get air in the lines, I don't know.

/ 430 FEL won't lift #4  

Front axle uh? Bet they put the chain hoist on the bucket to hold the machine up while the axle was off. Instead of bleed down, there was bleed up. Once the cylinders are refilled, everything should be fine. SteveV/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ 430 FEL won't lift #5  

I have recently had problems with my 410 Loader that had similar symptoms. The loader could go down and the bucket could curl and dump, but no up.

It turned out to be a failed quick-connect fitting. The tip was just flopping around loose in the fitting. The little spring inside had popped loose. Without the spring force on the tip, it wouldn't push the connection open on the mating tractor side, so fluid could not flow from that direction. Also, when it was disconnected, the fluid would drip out and air would get into the line.

After the fitting was replaced, the new one failed the same way a few days later! Maybe the mating part on my tractor is slightly out of spec on that line, or the lift circuit takes more vibration and shock that works the spring loose, but to me the design seems suspect. The spring is only held in by a very small inside split-ring clip that doesn't look very robust to me.

Since the 2nd failure happened on Saturday afternoon and I needed the machine for the remainder of the weekend, I just used a hex nut and a washer shoved into the fitting and held by the mating part to hold the spring in place. Works good, will not ever fail like that again.

- Rick

/ 430 FEL won't lift

That sounds very much like my problem. The technician is coming out to look at it today. Hoepfully he can get it working.

Which end has the spring you're talking about? It sounds like the male end from your description.

It doesn't help I broke the key off in the ignition too. I was able to start it no problem (with the remainder of the broken key), but when the guy came out Monday to pick the tractor up, he couldn't start it. He darn near destroyed the ignition swith.

/ 430 FEL won't lift

Rick, you were right on the money. I got home yesterday and the service guy was trying to fix the spring/clip on the coupler. Great call.

/ 430 FEL won't lift #8  

That sounds very much like my problem. The technician is coming out to look at it today. Hoepfully he can get it working.

Which end has the spring you're talking about? It sounds like the male end from your description.

It doesn't help I broke the key off in the ignition too. I was able to start it no problem (with the remainder of the broken key), but when the guy came out Monday to pick the tractor up, he couldn't start it. He darn near destroyed the ignition swith.
Thank you for the great info.

Thanks for the great info. Fixed my issue. When I looked at the line on the other side, I realized that it was partially uncoupled. I must’ve hit a limb and released the coupling. It did snap back in place and is now working fine, but without this information, I would’ve never looked there.