Oil & Fuel 4300 service intervals

/ 4300 service intervals #1  

wrede

Bronze Member
Tractor
2001 J. Deere 4300
4300 service manual says change engine oil and filter every 200 hours, which seems a little long. I use high grade synthetic oil, but tend to change it after 100 hours or so. It also says change hydraulic oil (HST) every 200 hours, which seems totally unnecessary. The hydraulic oil and filter was changed at around 200 hours, but that was because the rear axle seals leaked and the tractor had to come apart. I now have 790 hours, the oil is clean, everything works fine, and I have been told by friends with big farm tractor experience to leave it alone. I realize it's not a big expense to change the hydraulic oil, but it is a bit of a pain. Comments?

/ 4300 service intervals #2  
I change engine oil annually (or every 100 hours...as they say "whichever comes first") in my Deere 4400. Oil and filters are a lot cheaper then engine rebuilds.
Since I have a gear tractor, I do the change per the manual (which is every 500 hours, IIRC).
BTW, fuel and air filters are changed every other year....air filter more often if I was working in a real dusty environment (which I'm not).

Your friends do have a point...but I'd at least change the engine oil and filters regularly.

/ 4300 service intervals
Thanks for the comments. I will continue to change the engine oil and filter every 100 hours or so. As an aside, I have a Gator 6X4 diesel and the manual says change the oil every 100 hours, but the filter only every 200 hours. I put the Gator on my lift, start draining the oil, and then get ready to clean up the oil running out of the frame pan holes. Now that I'm covered in oil, I can't imagine not doing the filter at the same time.