4500 diesels

/ 4500 diesels #1  

ironpen

Gold Member
Tractor
tn75s, tc33d, mc35, gt65, 6640, 3010s, TS110, TS115, TN70, Massey 5470, Kubota F2690
I am looking at a 4500 but require diesel instead of gas. Does anyone have one? 25 horsepower seems a little low to me. Is it powerful enough? Disappointed they don't offer a 72 inch rear discharge mower as far as I can tell. The articulated deck does look to be rear discharge. Not sure how much extra those cost. I am also not crazy about having a rear roller. I don't want to stripe anything. Do you have to use the roller? Is there enough leg room for prolonged mowing seat time comfort? TIA for any thoughts on these machines.

/ 4500 diesels #2  
Check the torque ratings, that is what does the work. I have the Kubota gasser, but have seen the diesel version work and do an admirable job. I also run the 84" contour mower. It may well be the most power demanding implement Ventrac offers which is why I choose the the most powerful engine. The combination works well even on my very steep ground. The rear discharge works well, but is a little bit of a PIA when mowing dry conditions as the chaff frequently needs to be cleared from radiator screen. The contour is a bit on the spendy side, the last price check I noted was MSRP at $7,590.00.

Rooster

/ 4500 diesels #3  
I have the diesel version have not found it lacking in power. i have the suspension seat on mine but would go air ride next time. I tested on a rear discharge and found it is hard on the rad screen. Anything else just ask.

/ 4500 diesels
Does the articulated deck have that rear roller apparatus? I am used to cleaning the radiator screen...I currently use a New Holland MC 35 and it happens all the time there as well. What about leg room? Do you have a sun canopy? It looks like it would be a tight fit for headroom based on the height of the rops. Do you use the hand controlled hydrostat or did you get the foot pedal. Thanks to you both.

/ 4500 diesels #5  
ironpen, Ventrac has the 72" MU720 Rear Discharge Mower. New for 2017. Check out the hydraulic lift for it

/ 4500 diesels #6  
Does the articulated deck have that rear roller apparatus? I am used to cleaning the radiator screen...I currently use a New Holland MC 35 and it happens all the time there as well. What about leg room? Do you have a sun canopy? It looks like it would be a tight fit for headroom based on the height of the rops. Do you use the hand controlled hydrostat or did you get the foot pedal. Thanks to you both.

I cannot speak to the roller on that deck but I do have the canopy. There is plenty of headroom in there. Leg room is not a problem. Seat goes back pretty far and I ride almost exclusively with my feet on the pegs, it is just more comfortable for me. I use the hand control 95% of the time. I have the foot pedal and use it when traveling a longer distance or when taking a drink. Another time I use the foot pedal is when I'm in brush, I often i have to take my hand off due to briars and can keep on going with the pedal.

/ 4500 diesels #7  
Kubota diesel on the hills in WV, no problems with power... I replaced a JD 4500 35HP diesel compact, hydro, 4WD with the Ventrac. I thought the Kubota would be low on power (10 HP less), of course I didn't consider that the Ventrac weighed about 1500lbs less than the JD... Power isn't an issue.

Regular seat is comfortable.. I'm 6'2" and really put the seat all the way back and then move it forward a couple clicks. I usually drive it 4 hours at a time, no problems..

Canopy... I have a COOLTOP with a fan... It sits above the rollbar... No issues there...
Cool Tops Down Draft System, ROPS Fan, ROPS Canopy, ROPS Sunshade, Tractor Fan, Tractor Canopy, Tractor Sunshade, Mower Fan, Mower Canopy, Mower Sunshade

The contour deck costs about twice as much as regular deck (say $7500?)... I have one and used it once... PRS has one (he lives next door to my EX In LAWS) and uses it all the time. ITS HEAVY, hydro is at its limit picking it up...

You use the weight transfer to change the weight on the front end. That controls striping among other things... The Roller ROLLS your lawn to smooth out little humps and bumps. When its SOFT (spring or after a rain), set the WT to 0 and the 500lbs of mover flattens the bumps in your yard. Also makes it easy to move it in your garage. Roller also gives you more weight for traction. You can't take the roller off and you'll never know its there.

Rear discharge? WHY? Side blows grass out unlike anything I've seen... If you rear discharge, now you have loose grass under the tires and less traction (probably doesn't matter in level Alabama), it matters when you go up steep hills...

Foot control.... No need... You used your right hand and steer with the left. You control the speed and can raise and lower the mower (VENTRAC doesn't have brakes. only Emergency brake)... On steep hills you need your feet on the forward pegs to keep you from falling out of the seat.... HENCE hand controls are better.

/ 4500 diesels #8  

I have the foot pedal and the hand control with a Femco sun top.

Attachments

• 2013_0825ventractop0019.JPG
    2013_0825ventractop0019.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 337
  • my new cab 004.JPG
    my new cab 004.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 453
  • my new cab 006.JPG
    my new cab 006.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 404
   / 4500 diesels #9  
Does the articulated deck have that rear roller apparatus?
Yes, each of the three sections has a rear roller.

What about leg room? I am 6'3" and notice no problem with leg room. On very steep right leaning slopes my big ole butt does tend to press against the SDLA lever, I modified the arm rest to take that weight.

Do you have a sun canopy? It looks like it would be a tight fit for headroom based on the height of the rops.
No, but TN Marks does have the canopy and he is not little fellow either, seems to him well. I have too may trees for a canopy and typically have the ROPS folded down unless on severe slope.

Do you use the hand controlled hydrostat or did you get the foot pedal.
I have both. The foot treadle is mechanically linked to the forward/reverse function of the SDLA. The treadle is very handy when in brush or other situations where a hand needs to be free.

Thanks to you both.

You are most welcome! Bear in mind that the contour mower is meant for finish mowing only, but I admit that the old pasture areas of my land are not exactly putting greens. It does quite well, and the stripes are not distracting unless one desires to align them in a pattern.

prs

/ 4500 diesels #10  
I am looking at a 4500 but require diesel instead of gas. Does anyone have one? 25 horsepower seems a little low to me. Is it powerful enough? Disappointed they don't offer a 72 inch rear discharge mower as far as I can tell. The articulated deck does look to be rear discharge. Not sure how much extra those cost. I am also not crazy about having a rear roller. I don't want to stripe anything. Do you have to use the roller? Is there enough leg room for prolonged mowing seat time comfort? TIA for any thoughts on these machines.

I have a 4500Y and a 60-inch rear-discharge deck with the mulching kit added. I also have the snowblower, the rotary broom, and the electrical generator (since discontinued).

The tractor has without complaint done everything that I have asked it to do, including blowing heavy snow while going uphill on a 15謀egree slope on my driveway.

As to whether it has enough power for your needs, it really depends what your needs are.