4500 vs 5310

/ 4500 vs 5310 #11  
Bulverde,
I'm not selling the 4600. I've got a couple different places and I need the 4600 here at home. I just bought another 60 acres down the road about 3 miles for hay ground. Instead of transporting tractors back and forth I was going to buy one for the that place to do the haying and such over there. That 23k was awesome for the 5310. For the 5210 it's not anything special. I'd work them on the 4500 if that's what you want. One thing to remember too is that there is little price difference between the 4500 and 4600 but you get quite a bit more tractor going from the 4500 to 4600.

tractorpic.jpg

/ 4500 vs 5310
Cowboy: Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I got a price of $22300.00 for a 4500, Industrial tires w/ 460 FEL & 613MX Shredder with slip clutch and chains. Is this a good price? You mentioned the 4600 but the specs (engine size, etc.) are the same. They are giving me a price that is 2K higher for the 4600. How do I know what the dealer cost is on these tractors? I don't mind them making a profit but I want to be educated.....Thanks for responding.

/ 4500 vs 5310 #13  
Bulverde,
I tryed to find the same info. when I was looking but it wasn't to be had. I was told that John Deere has a 35% markup on their tractors. I am sure there is more or less on the model but again I don't know for sure. With the 4600 and 4700 you get more hp, more pt power, more pump power, and there were some other differences in the tractor. I will look up all that info. tomorrow for you. I did the numbers for about two months on kubota and deere and felt the 4600 or 4700 was the best bang for the buck in my case. If I could have gotten the kubota dealer down on price I might have gotten the L4310. That sounds like a good price for the 4500. I was looking at a mower too and was quoted around 2k for it so your tractor and front end loader price sounds about right. But what is equipped on that tractor? I definitely would get the power reverser if you don't get the hst.

tractorpic.jpg

/ 4500 vs 5310 #14  
Bulverde,

I'm going to ditto what Richard stated. For me the 4700 was the best bang for the buck amoung the Orange, Blue, and Green. But it really depend on what YOU need to do and what price you are given locally. And more importantly than the color of the tractor is the dealer, Dealer, DEALER.

The 4600 and 4700, I have the later, are larger more powerful tractors than the 4500. Look through the JD areas for prices. I put my 4700 prices in one of the JD areas. It would have been about October/November.

On the Rotary Cutters, look at the Attachment forum. There has been a conversation over there during the last couple of weeks on this subject.

JD's internet site has a configuration program on the 5000 and up tractors. The program provided list prices for those tractors. At least that will give you a clue if you are paying to much on the 4000 series.

I'll make a plug for getting a 4n1 bucket with the FEL. If you have to pick things up get a 4n1 bucket. Without the 4n1 I think I would be loosing 50% of my usage of the tractor. Its been that danged useful to me. I would not own a tractor without one. If you are on land with no trees and would only use the FEL to scoop dirt I guess one would not need a 4n1 bucket. I just can't imagine not having one....

Use this site as much as you can. Go through all the threads you can. Its harder to do that now than 6 months ago because we talk so much there is just so much more information now! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I'm CONSTANTLY amazed at the information on TBN. There are things I have learned, like the 4n1 bucket and hydraulic augers, that I did not know existed. Read the attachment forum all the way through. I'm sure you will learn a great deal about things that you never knew existed. The problem is having the money to buy the tools you need! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Hope this helps...
Dan McCarty

/ 4500 vs 5310 #15  
Have the dealer throw in the 613 cutter with the 5210 MWFD & FEL for the $23K if he's anxious to sell the 5210. Even with collar shift, for 45 PTO hp vs. 33 hp, much more bang for the buck.

/ 4500 vs 5310
Thanks, I'm just worried that the collar shift will be a challenge to do loader work. Plus, is the 5210 a little overkill for 25 acres?

/ 4500 vs 5310 #17  
If the prices are the same, the 5210 is the better buy, heavier, better resale, much more engine torque, more loader capacity, more tractor in general...

Yes, the collar shift is not synchronized, you would have to either stop or slow down to shift (I believe 2nd and reverse are in-line for shuttle like shifting)

How much loader work are you planning on doing? I mean back and forth type... For brush-hogging and 99% of ground engagement, you're going forward in one gear and you're not shifting like a car or truck.

I just think for the "same" money the 5210 package offers extremely more "beef"...

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ 4500 vs 5310 #18  
Bulverde, I have a 5210 with collar shift. If you are going to do a lot of FEL work a sync transmission will make it a little easier. It just depends on how much $$ you have available, how much FEL wouk you will be doing, and how strong your left leg is. My leg does get a little tired if I use the FEL for a couple of hours without stopping to rest. Usually I do not use it for that long at a time. Most of my FEL work is picking up a load and hauling it somewhere else and not just going back and forth. Sometimes while doing work with other attachments I need to change gears and I do have to let the RPMs go down before shifting. I have 40 acres and I could probably have gotten by with less hp. My heaviest job is brushhogging. I have the MX6 cutter. I do not have MFWD. I wanted a MFWD with PowrReverser but acould not afford it. I could have gotten the 4600 with MFWD and HST but I went for more HP. If the 4700 had been available at that time I probably would have gotten it. Depending on the layout of you land and what you intend to do now and in the future you may not need the 5210. Have you looked at the 5205? It has the same engine as the 5210 but it is not as fancy. There is not a big difference in the price but sometimes a little makes a big difference. Also, I thought JD had a 5000 twenty series coming out this spring but I did not see anything at their web site http://www.johndeere.com about them. In summation, I woould definitely check out the 4700, standard MFWD and almost the same power specs as the 5210 but not quite as much hydraulics, with the PowrReverser or HST. Compare the power and hydraulic specs and then make a decision based on how you will use it now and try to think of any future uses that you feel will affect you decision. Once you have mad the decision do not look back, just make the most of what you have and be glad you have what you have.

/ 4500 vs 5310 #20  
It's a shame... for about $600. more the dealer should have ordered the 5210 with SyncShuttle transmission...

Based on your supplied prices and model's the dealer has available, for your 25 acres, the JD5210 MWFD w/FEL wins hands down... however if he had a JD4700 w/FEL for $23K... that would be the choice. Good luck on whatever you decide!

JD 4500 Spec/Price's

JD 5210 Spec/Price's

JD 4700 Spec/Price's

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG