4500 with ML260 FEl- Joystick hard to move

/ 4500 with ML260 FEl- Joystick hard to move #1  

Bdavis

Silver Member
Tractor
4500 mahindra FEL
It seems like my joystick is getting harder and harder to tilt. It is not hard to move the bucket up and down vertically. However to tilt to dump or to curl up takes a lot of presure on the joy stick. So it is difficult to make small moves.

Any ideas on what is going on ?
Thanks for the help

/ 4500 with ML260 FEl- Joystick hard to move #2  
It seems like my joystick is getting harder and harder to tilt. It is not hard to move the bucket up and down vertically. However to tilt to dump or to curl up takes a lot of presure on the joy stick. So it is difficult to make small moves.

Any ideas on what is going on ?
Thanks for the help

It happened to me. A pivot bolt came loose. Move the rubber boot up to access the joystick linkages. I bet you will have a loose bolt that is binding the linkage(s). Put locktite on them when you tighten them and secure the rubber boot. Good as new.
hugs, Brandi

/ 4500 with ML260 FEl- Joystick hard to move
It happened to me. A pivot bolt came loose. Move the rubber boot up to access the joystick linkages. I bet you will have a loose bolt that is binding the linkage(s). Put locktite on them when you tighten them and secure the rubber boot. Good as new.
hugs, Brandi

Wow, I sure hope that is it. I will check it next time I go to the farm.
I will post the results

Thanks a bunch, that at least gives me somewhere to start and sounds pretty easy

/ 4500 with ML260 FEl- Joystick hard to move #4  
Wow, I sure hope that is it. I will check it next time I go to the farm.
I will post the results

Thanks a bunch, that at least gives me somewhere to start and sounds pretty easy

There is a lot of monkey motion inside the boot, so be careful when you move it up to get to the linkages. A bolt may fall out.
hugs, Brandi

/ 4500 with ML260 FEl- Joystick hard to move #5  
Often times, the joystick linkages get a little surface rust on them and they get sticky.... Pull the boot and spray a little WD40 on the linkage while you work it free and I'm bettin it'll work fine... I've done it many times when my joystick gets sticky

Often times, the joystick linkages get a little surface rust on them and they get sticky.... Pull the boot and spray a little WD40 on the linkage while you work it free and I'm bettin it'll work fine... I've done it many times when my joystick gets sticky

After I inspect the bolts I will certainly try that also (always got plenty of that stuff around, WD40 and duct tape or my two favorite tools - Grin)

I am now really curious about how a FEL joy stick works. Never really thought about it before. Electrical joysticks I understand ( game controlers
and such - actually taken a few game controllers apart)

I am assuming that a FEl joystick either pulls or pushes on pistons so that the fluid will flow through and move the cylinder.

Problem solved !! What a difference a little WD 40 (make that a lot of WD 40) makes. After pulling back the boot I could see that the tilit piston had a little
rust at the base. So after spraying it down with WD 40 it works great.

I checked the bolts visually and they looked snug with no wobble.

However, I also noticed that the studs looked like some one had already put locktite on them. I am the second owner, so I am pretty sure the problem Brandi described with the joy stick binding had already been corrected by the previous owner.

Thanks for the help

/ 4500 with ML260 FEl- Joystick hard to move #8  
Problem solved !! What a difference a little WD 40 (make that a lot of WD 40) makes. After pulling back the boot I could see that the tilit piston had a little
rust at the base. So after spraying it down with WD 40 it works great.

I checked the bolts visually and they looked snug with no wobble.

However, I also noticed that the studs looked like some one had already put locktite on them. I am the second owner, so I am pretty sure the problem Brandi described with the joy stick binding had already been corrected by the previous owner.

Thanks for the help

I'm not sure, but I think locktite goes on at the factory.
Jeremy, care to give any input?
hugs, Brandi